Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #1 
Splash

Overstocking? Ghost and Cherry Shrimp?

I was wondering if this seems too overstocked. I have a 10 gallon dived tank, 1 mystery snail on each side and 2 ghost shrimp on each side. Would adding a cherry shrimp on each side would be too much?

Just wanted to add this picture of one of my ghost shrimp because it seems like there's more than one type of these guys. They're really small:

Last edited by Splash; 05-18-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:34 PM   #2 
Stone

you can have 10 shrimp per gallon of the smaller shrimp, snails are pretty dirty so no clue about them
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

+1 What Stone said. RCS would be happier and feel safer in a group of at least five.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 
Splash

Thank you guys, I honestly had no idea that you could add that many per gallon. The RCS are $5.00 a piece over here, does that sound normal?
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Where are you?

You can find them on Aquabid or eBay for as little as 90 cents.

Last edited by wake49; 05-20-2013 at 07:27 AM. Reason: removed link to another forum
Old 05-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #6 
bettacrazygirl86

The RCS at my LFS are expensive too. I've been sticking with ghost shrimp. They're entertaining little buggers. I have 7 in my 10 gallon right now, but that's because the other 5 kicked the bucket ;-; Used to have 12. I'm going to get more next time I go to my LFS. They have ghost shrimp at my LFS for $1/6 shrimp.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #7 
Laki

Oh before you buy pet store ones, try making an ad on Kijiji or craigslist for RCS. They breed like rabbits and so often people who keep them will have extras to sell. That's how I got mine, I paid 20$ for 10 adults and he threw in some tiny babies as well. I think I ended up with 13 or something. Yea, try a sub-reddit in your area, kijiji, craigslist and whatever else classifieds might be in your area.

A mystery snail has a pretty high bioload for what it is but in terms of shrimp you can get away with a bunch. I read somewhere that both ghost and cherry shrimp are pretty peaceful but ghosts might attack babies whereas cherries are 100% safe with babies.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #8 
Splash

I'm in Pennsylvania, yeah it was my local fish store. I thought about online but aren't the shipping prices what would make it not worth it? I'll have to look around! I really appreciate all the help :)

Yeah snails are messy, I've just always had them and didn't realize that until recently. Maybe I'll talk them out and put them in a small tank.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #9 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Personally, I would jump on the Fire Reds (same as RCS only really dark) in the second link. I have bought from the first link and had good service. But, if I didn't already have enough shrimp, I'd be all over that Fire Red BIN.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Red-Cherr...item257d71d2fb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Fire-Red-...item4173414a03

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-19-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Forgot: There's only 1 lot left of the Fire Reds
Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #10 
Laki

Fire reds and Sakura's (what I have apparantly) are REALLY intense red! Fire reds are born red.

I wonder how they ship shrimp?? I would be too afraid but I guess its been done safely!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote