Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Got Blue Betta home to discover he appears to have one popeye : ( would you keep him?

I just lost Nano and Elephonso. Nano had popeye which went into dropsy. I was not setting out to get fish that wasn't in good health. Last night I had Jacks put him in clean water so I could see him well and see how he acted and colored up. I came back 4 hours later. He looked good but it's hard to see a dark fish in their cubes. He is a crown tail with good form, navy blue with charcoal head. His finnage is a combination of light blue and emerald green. One eye clearly potrudes more than the other.

Would you give him a couple of weeks to improve or take him back straight away? If Nano is any example I kind of see this as downhill slide. I am keeping him isolated. He is active and happy in the one gallon hospital tank and has flared at me several times. No name yet. For now I am keeping the water clean and I am fasting him until tommorow. I can't find my ***epsom salt.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

He sounds pretty.

I would try the Epsom salt. (After finding it, of course! ) If it's just popeye, the Epsom salt should clear it up.

I worry that if you bring him back, well, we know what kind of care he'll probably get.

Does he have a 'live pet guarantee?' If so, you could hold onto him for a few days and see if the Epsom salt helps.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #3 
jadaBlu

He is guaranteed for 14 days so if he gets worse I can get my money back. It wasn't much money $6.99. Everywhere you go the water is dirty. So you're bound to come home with something. Popeye can be serious. I guess if he doesn't make it he will be like Elephonso who got one month of happiness not death in a dirty cup. I am trying to be careful but I am really paranoid about spreading something.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

If it is just popeye, I would keep him. If he is pineconning, then I would return him as that is almost but not always, a death sentance. Just make sure it really is pineconning, not just bloated from eating too much
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

He definitely isn't pineconing. One eye is potruding more than the other. I will try photograph him to get opinions.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #6 
jadaBlu

I found my epsom salt and bought more. I am well supplied. His popeye looks like it's gone away. I fed him very little to be sure bloat didn't set in. He flared a bit too much and now he has a gill cover stuck part of the way open. Perhaps the new surrounding were a bit stimulating he has not seen any other fish. I don't know how to fix that. He has a tiny piece of white fuzz on his body. I am not sure if it's ick or a fungus. I have everything under sun to treat a fish in the house. I originally was going to treat him with Prazipro for parasites. I have decided to this as matter of preventative with all new fish.

It's worked fine with no side affects on 2 other fish. I need to find something that will kill ick if that is the problem and potential parasites. If you have suggestions let me know. It's tricky to treat them you can waste time the completely wrong treatment.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

I think I will name him Espero which means hope in Spanish. He's in sterilite type container here he's since been moved to another tank. My other picture don't show his green crown.