Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #1 
sushiisaboss75

Question how often should i clean my 2.5 gallon?

how often should i clean my 2.5 gallon tank? it's filtered.
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quoted from Oldfishlady's water change schedule:

"1-4gal with a filter
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month."
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #3 
sushiisaboss75

ok. that confused me.
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Change your water twice a week. The first time (Say Wednesday for example) and just siphon out half of your water. Replace water with the same temperature and conditioner, be careful not to add it in too quickly to hurt your Betta.

Then the second time on Saturday, again for example. Do another siphon cleaning but siphon the gravel as well or marbles or whatever you have on the floor of the tank. If you don't have a siphon (you should get a small one) then you can stir up the gravel with your finger and suck out the debris with some air line tubing into a bucket. Again, replace with the same temperature water with conditioner.

Once a month during a water change, shut the filter off and take out that square thing, it's the filter media and swish it around in a bucket of old tank water that you just siphoned out. Not in the actual tank because then that would be pointless because you are trying to get the debris out from the tank.

Does that help a little more?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm going to add - always unplug your heater & filter when doing a water change. Also if your tank is new its more than likely not cycled so more frequent water changes will be needed but you'll have test your water preferably with a liquid test kit to know for sure how often.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you shellieca.

But it's only a 2.5, there is virtually no point in cycling it, am I correct? I feel it would just lead to a little more disaster than just doing the twice weekly water changes.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Thank you shellieca.

But it's only a 2.5, there is virtually no point in cycling it, am I correct? I feel it would just lead to a little more disaster than just doing the twice weekly water changes.
Its debatable on the cycling, some say it can happen others say not. I agree twice weekly at a minimum to be on the safe side. I've not run a filter in my 2.5g tanks so I don't know how fast toxins such as nitrites build up requiring more frequent water changes so just want the OP to be aware of the possibility.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Its debatable on the cycling, some say it can happen others say not. I agree twice weekly at a minimum to be on the safe side. I've not run a filter in my 2.5g tanks so I don't know how fast toxins such as nitrites build up requiring more frequent water changes so just want the OP to be aware of the possibility.
Right, right, nope I agree :) Always best to be in the know!

I've never cycled anything under 5 gallons because I do do two weekly changes on them and they do have filters, I've never had a problem with ammonia getting to high, but I also suck out any poo with a turkey baster when I see it during the week, so that helps as well.