Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #1271 
Chesh

Katydid -

How are your little frogs doing? I hope they, and your sick Ottos, are well?

Last edited by Chesh; 05-17-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #1272 
popcorndeer

i think tomorow iam going to make a cute little froggy home with 2 covers!
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #1273 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorndeer View Post
i think tomorow iam going to make a cute little froggy home with 2 covers!
Two covers, eh?! That's the spirit. . . One has always served me well enough, lol. . . just make sure to tape up all of the little gaps in between - like where the heater wires and filter slip into the tank. Frogs can be escape artists. . . unfortunately, once out of the water they are only able to live for around 15 minutes, max, so it's good to be as careful as possible. They're small enough to fit out of the tiniest hole.
Good luck!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #1274 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
NEVER attempt to ‘rescue’ a sick frog
^ very solid advice, because not every sick frog is able to be rehabilitated, and unless you're completely prepared for some heartbreak, and until you have some good experience in frog care, it's better to get the healthiest frogs available!

I have some experience with raising frogs, and I wasn't able to save both of the ADF's I "rescued" a month ago. Fortunately one of them wasn't as bad off as the one who didn't make it. She's chubby and happy now.

What kind of lid was on her tank? like bettas, frogs will squeeze through any hole that they can fit through! And you'd be amazed at how tight of a squeeze that they can manage!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #1275 
LittleWatty

And they're tricky little buggers! Just remember - sometimes if you can't find them, they're actually in the tank still. They're just amazing at finding hiding spots.

Edit: As a side note to really commend how tight a hole bettas can fit through. Fleck was in a tank with just him, a snail, and my HMPK male Tintri. When I fed Fleck, I put Tintri in one of the Petco betta cups until my little frog was finished eating (otherwise, the betta would eat everything). One day, I did the same thing I usually did, and then left the tank alone for about an hour. I came back, and fount Tintri as fat as could be, and OUTSIDE his cup. There was a top on it, but the cup had turned upside down in the flow of the filter, and he wiggled out of the tiny hole in the center.

Last edited by LittleWatty; 05-17-2013 at 11:33 PM.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:28 PM   #1276 
popcorndeer

i wish my frog was still in the tank :(
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 PM   #1277 
popcorndeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
And they're tricky little buggers! Just remember - sometimes if you can't find them, they're actually in the tank still. They're just amazing at finding hiding spots.

Edit: As a side note to really commend how tight a hole bettas can fit through. Fleck was in a tank with just him, a snail, and my HMPK male Tintri. When I fed Fleck, I put Tintri in one of the Petco betta cups until my little frog was finished eating (otherwise, the betta would eat everything). One day, I did the same thing I usually did, and then left the tank alone for about an hour. I came back, and fount Tintri as fat as could be, and OUTSIDE his cup. There was a top on it, but the cup had turned upside down in the flow of the filter, and he wiggled out of the tiny hole in the center.

thats happend with deer!
Old 05-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #1278 
jlllm

Is it normal for the frogs to eat plants?? Mine nibble on plant roots and they get into the java moss like kids in a candy store.
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #1279 
NeptunesMom

Can you use IAL with an ADF in the tank? Does anyone happen to know if snails and shrimp can be in a tank with IAL?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #1280 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlllm View Post
Is it normal for the frogs to eat plants?? Mine nibble on plant roots and they get into the java moss like kids in a candy store.
Jlllm. . . my frogs have always been kept in planted tanks - that's five frogs over a year and a halfish or so, and I've never seen one nibble on a plant (unless it was 'hunting' for food and accidentally got a mouthfull)! Doesn't mean it can't happen, though! Maybe one of the others has seen this before. . . sorry I can't be of more help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
Can you use IAL with an ADF in the tank? Does anyone happen to know if snails and shrimp can be in a tank with IAL?
Neptune's Mom. . . I have never had a problem with ADF in a tank with either IAL or snails - I've kept them with MTS, Apple/Mystery, and Nerites. There is a very slight possibility that something crazy could happen - I saw a thread once where an Apple/Mystery snail startled and closed on a frog's foot - but that doesn't seem to be the norm, lol! They should be fine together. I don't know about shrimp, haven't kept them yet! Shrimpies are on my future fish (and other critters) list!

Hope that helps!