Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 
shinitakin

New ghost shrimp

I just picked up three ghost shrimp yesterday. After moving my betta into the new 5 gallon, I have them all in my 2.5 minibow right now with a filter but unfortunately no heater...

How long do I need to quarantine them before attempting to introduce them to my betta? (I was a little concerned since they shared a tank with a dead fish at Petco for at least a day.) Would this heater-less setup be too cold for my shrimp?
shinitakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #2 
djembekah

A couple of weeks should work. they're fairly hardy though, so personally i think they'll be fine. acclimate them carefully when you add them to the other tank though
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #3 
shinitakin

Okay, I'll keep the shrimp in the 2.5 for a few weeks then. I've been dosing the water with the same amount of dechlorinator I use for my betta. Is this the right amount or do I need to add more/less?

When I decide to introduce them, should I make a water change in the 5 gallon and rearrange the plants and ornaments and then add the shrimp in first before letting my betta in, as well?
shinitakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

Main thing, for me, is to introduce them when the lights are off and make sure they have places to hide (plants, caves, etc.).

If the parameters in both tanks are the same, you can plop them right in. If temperature is different, float them in an opaque cup so the Betta can't see them. Or, remove the Betta for about 20 minutes so they can scope out the tank without being bugged (or "Bettaed"?).

You can rearrange plants, decorations if you want to.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #5 
Whittni

When I had shrimp I just bought decorations that only they could fit in, so the bettas couldn't get to them.
Whittni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #6 
djembekah

Dechlorinator dosage is based on volume of water, not type of creature living in it. i think you're fine there :)

The day i added my shrimp happened to be a water change day. it can't hurt! Neither can rearranging- never know how fishy is gonna react.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

+1 dj. Declorinator is based on water volume and not species.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote