Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #11 
NetGeek

Sorry, but I disagree that this is a good way to treat live fish. Most people who play that game would have zero idea of how to care for the fish. Take it home, put it in a jar, flush it down the toilet when it dies. Not all, but even a small percentage is too many for me.

Owning a pet is a choice. And a large responsibility. Winning a pet in a game of chance at a Midway is just wrong. Besides, how many people go straight home after winning their "prize"? I just bet that the fish sits in the bag/container for at least a day in less than optimum conditions.

No, this is just wrong. For every winner that gives the fish a loving home and the care it deserves, there are probably 20 that think it is okay to put them in a water glass and feed it whenever they happen to remember. Or overfeed it and kill it with "kindness".

It was wrong to do it with goldfish, but even more wrong to do it with Bettas.
NetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree that owning a pet is a choice. I had a neighbor who was given a betta and it died. She then went out and bought another and it ended up becoming mine.I have no idea why she spent money on another one. Then she didn't take care of it properly . She refused to take my advice on how to take care of it, I think it can go both ways. Some will take that fish home and research how to properly take care of it. Others, like you said, will put it in a small container and feed it whenever.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #13 
BettaSquirt

This is horrible!! They should atleast give the winners like a caresheet or something so the people that know absolutly nothing, should know how to care for the bettas.
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #14 
NetGeek

Unfortunately, Carney Games don't care about what happens to the prizes they dole out. They only care about the $$$ they take in. And if they can sucker people into "donating" their hard-earned cash to win a prize that they know nothing about, they care naught.

I visited a carwash recently that had a Betta in a tiny glass full of disgustingly dirty water and barely enough room to move. He was the most pathetic creature I have ever seen. And the clerk's response when I voiced my concern? "It's a fish, who gives a ****?" I was so tempted to not pay for my carwash and say "It's a carwash, who gives a ****?"

All God's creatures deserve love and respect. Giving a living being away in a contest is neither love nor respect. What is next? Hampsters? Puppies? Human babies?
NetGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:15 PM   #15 
fishyinpa

Yeah who knows what would be next. I didnt think they would upgrade to bettas,since goldfish are cheaper. Still wrong either way. I was saying to mom,id feel bad for them when a heat wave comes. 100 degrees with heat index over that? Those poor fish will cook alive. Maybe at the shore it wont get that hot,but it could. I dunno.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #16 
nimblebobo

I was at a carnival and won a goldfish.I took it home and took care of it and after a week it died.they just arnt in good shape after there at a carnival.He had a happy life though.then the next day I went and bought a betta and here I am with it.At the carnival they gave me a sheet of how they took care of it.the lady was nice and they were in a BIG container.I am a responsible pen owner to.
nimblebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think sometimes they are in such bad shape that no matter how good we take care of them, they still die.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #18 
Angelmonster

It is pretty common game in carnivals, atleast the "higher end" ones. At least it wasn't what some Japanese carnivals do. You get a little paper disk on a stick and they put the fish on it. If you can lift it up as it is flopping you win it >_>
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #19 
MrVampire181

My friend won a goldfish a few weeks ago and put it in a vase and refused to put water conditioner in it...fish was dead in two days.

I told him to never get a fish again and give it to someone who can care for it properly and NO I'm NEVER gonna give him one of my bettas...
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote