Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #1 
Silverdragon MDS

ph spike whats going on?

I have 2 tanks my Betta tank and my Guppy tank. I had just done water changes on both tanks yesterday. Checked on my fishies this morning and everthing was fine. Tonight when I came in I went to feed them and noticed the guppys were barely swimming. I checked the water stats and the ph spiked from 7 to 8.4 in both of my tanks! My Betta seem to be dealing with it ok but I have lost my guppies. Ive tried to lower the ph back down but its not moving and I am worried about my Betta. What and why is this happening?!?
Silverdragon MDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Have you tested anything else?
What were the results?
What do you test with?
How big are the tanks?
How often and how much are they cleaned (25%)?
How many guppies?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #3 
10asartin

It is possible that your tap water experienced the pH spike and when you did a water change that upped the pH in both tanks.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #4 
Silverdragon MDS

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 g Betta 20 g guppy
What temperature is your tank? 79 F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes small tetra Betta/ marineland bio wheel 150 guppy
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?yes 1 small air stone in Betta / waterfall bubbler and small air stone in guppy
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just Betta / assorted guppies

Maintenance How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 20% & 50% every 4th rotation
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat +, API perfect 7 PH, coppersafe full dose Betta (treating velvet), coppersafe1/2 dose. Guppies (prevent possible cross contamination), API quick start bacteria boost in 50% changes. Yesterdays change was a 50%

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Yes. API liquid test kit
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 both
Nitrite: 0 both
Nitrate: 0 both
pH: 7 yesterday.after the water change 8.4 now
Hardness: idk
Alkalinity: idk

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Betta none. Guppies were barely swimming
When did you start noticing the symptoms?when I came home today
Have you started treating your fish? Betta no. Guppies tried lowering ph to 8 to counter the spike a lil without shocking fish too much. Would not lower.
If so, how? Does your fish have any history of l ill? No. Betta has only gotten velvet recently.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown we have had them a lil over a month
Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 
Silverdragon MDS

We have well water. Would that make a difference? The water tests I did yesterday were after the waterchange so the tap shouldn't have spiked it.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Well water usually runs around 7.0 pH. Did you test your tap water to check for a spike? Add any new meds or ornaments?

I read somewhere that a lot of rain can raise pH. I've Googled and can't find the site but I *know* I read it.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-19-2013 at 11:46 PM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Yes, well water makes a difference. It tends to be softer HOWEVER when I had moved to a well water community, I noticed the water was ridiculously hard.... Which my bettas hated. I used IAL (indian almond leaves) and driftwood to help lower it...
At this point, I would actually suggest one of the bottles of pH down. because it swings like that. I don't remember... But does stress coat neutralize metals?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote