Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #41 
PersonalityUnknown

He's still bloated... At this point I'm just waiting for the inevitable. He doesn't look any better, he swims spazzes slightly trying to swim around normally and just floats back up helplessly. He even floats up sideways now...

How much longer should I wait? What should I do? Should I let nature take it's course..? Or is there a humane way to put a fish down so he doesn't suffer anymore? =(
PersonalityUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #42 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, so it's not constipation related, he's having Swim Bladder issues. The Epsom salt will also help and no he's not exactly suffering so there's no need to put him down.

You should lower the water level so that he can reach the surface better. Here go to this thread and look at Oldfishlady's comment, it's #4 and that would help you understand it a bit better. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=55593

Some betta's do get over this on their own but the Epsom salt treatment will surely help with that.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 AM   #43 
PersonalityUnknown

Bubbles passed away between last night and early this morning... :(
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #44 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh no, I'm so sorry

I'm sorry I couldn't help you more either, he was such a beautiful Betta.

Just keep an eye on your DTPK to make sure he doesn't start anything funny. But you can give him the whole 2.5 after you clean it out.

To clean the tank I would just empty all the water, wash off all the gravel and rinse thoroughly, if you've got plants, keeps them under a light or in the sun until the tank is set back up.

Dry everything out completely (except the plants lol) and then replace back into the tank, fill with dechlorinated water, put the plants back in and let them establish for a day or two and then you can put your DTPK in there. Just really keep an eye on that ammonia, I really think that's what did it for Bubbles. I'm sorry.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #45 
PersonalityUnknown

He was.. And he had so much personality. Idk maybe he was sick from the beginning, he would make bubbles but never really make a real bubble nest, he would always spaz around the tank and flash. Hopefully ill have better luck with my dtpk. Now I at least have the Epsom salt if bloat/constipation/swim bladder problems arise again... Was it because I treated him too late? Does that normally happen? Maybe the stress of being in the jar? ( I moved him like you said so the water changes would be easier)... I feel like such a bad fishy mama... :(
Old 05-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #46 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You are not a bad fishy mama, you know why? You tried your best to save him, you helped him instead of just let him sit there! We all make mistakes and losing our friends does hurt, but it makes you just a little bit wiser for the future so you can give another fish a wonderful home.

Yes it is possible that he was sick from the beginning, and with the added ammonia, that didn't help. But don't worry so much of that, you've learned what to do so something like that won't happen again.

There could have been something else at work here, more than just internal parasites or swim bladder issues. So it wasn't your fault, fish die sometimes and we just don't know why.

Try to clean the tank out best you can so that it's nice and clean for your DTPK, does he have a name yet? Also, remember not to use soap You can do it! I've got faith in you!
Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #47 
PersonalityUnknown

Thanks. That made me feel a bit better. :) at least he's in a better place with all the brine shrimp he can eat! <3

My dtpk doesn't have a name yet, I've been contemplating but nothing good has came to mind. Someone told me pearl but it's too fem for me to call him that xD
Old 05-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #48 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol yes! All the Brine shrimp, and every other wonderfully delicious live foods he can hunt!

Have you got a theme? I can try to help by throwing names at you XD Generally I pick a theme like Marvel characters or Astrological things or Artist names. So if you give me something like that I can pull up some names for you if you like :) Sometimes I just kind of let the name choose me though, like Piebald. He was...well he was a Piebald coloration and I called him that so I didn't have to keep saying The New Guy or the The New Fish haha, and it just stuck. Same thing with Ditto, I got him because he was a black/yellow double tail version of Rembrandt, so same colors...Ditto colors yeah.