Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 
Goldie2nd

Update on my Baby Betta and Betta Books!

I currently own The Betta Handbook by Robert J. Goldstein, Betta Care Quick and Easy by T.H.F.Publication and Aquarium Care of Bettas by David E. Boruchowitz, I also just bought Bettas by Marshall Ostrow and Bettas: A Complete Introduction (Guide to Owning a Betta) by Walt Maurus. I want to learn all I can about bettas so this is why I have decided to slowly but surely start a mini Betta Library for myself. I have found some other great Betta Books I want to buy later on as i slowly can so here goes a lot of my money into more betta information!

My baby Double Tail has grown some and is even showing an eggs spot, she I assume has grown a few inches from two months ago, I have been feeding the baby NLS for Bettas, Petco Betta Pellets, Frozen Brime Shrimp and some Betta Min Betta Flakes by Tetra. I also change her water every other day to try and prevent stunting. I will try to give her some frozen blood worms all shopped up. She also is in a 3 gallon tank with heater,filter, some plants and bubble maker to provide extra oxygen in her water. Please let me know if there's anything I can do so she can grow bigger, more colorful and healthier please let me know.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #2 
cheylillymama

Id take out the bubble maker as bettas do not pull their oxygen from the water. They breath at the surface via the labyrinth organ. Too much water movement can upset bettas. They like still water.
cheylillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #3 
justmel

Some bettas don't like bubble makers, but I've heard of other playing in and around the bubbles, so if it doesn't seem to bother you baby I wouldn't worry about it. If your betta seems to stay away from the bubbles they probably don't like it much & I'd remove it.

I may be wrong on some of this, but if I am hopefully someone will come along & correct me. What temp are you keeping your baby at? 80-82 seems to be the most recommended temp for them. With just one baby you don't need to change the water to prevent stunting their growth. If you have a batch of fry the larger one will put off a hormone in the water to stunt the growth of others, with only 1 baby I don't think you need to worry about that. Still, you do want to keep the water clean. I don't think you need to do it everyday though. A mix of foods is good and helps maintain the health of your betta. Higher protein foods will help them grow faster. I don't believe you can really make it more colorful. With the care you are giving it I am pretty sure it's showing you all the pretty colors it will be.

I'm calling it your betta & your baby because at a young age the egg spot doesn't mean it's a girl always. Young males will display an egg spot to fool the older males and stay safe longer. This cutey could still turn out to be a boy on you. If you've had this guy over 2 months I don't think it would be considered a baby anymore either, I think it would be called a juvenile.

I'm still learning myself, but there is a ton of information and helpful people on this site. Is the betta in question the one in your avvie? That is a beauty there. If you have some good pictures of your baby (side view) you might be able to get some help sexing your baby too.

Oh, 1 other thing. In a tank that small you don't really need a filter. Especially with all the water changed you do. Unless the filter seems to bother your betta I wouldn't worry to much about it, but like the bubble maker, it's not something that you need and could bother your baby.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #4 
Goldie2nd

Here is a picture of the baby Double Tail it's a close up.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #5 
justmel

Very pretty green betta! I can't myself tell if it's a girl or boy, but someone else might. With how short the caudal and ventral are I think you might be correct in thinking it's a girl though. A picture like this would make it a bit easier to tell.
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #6 
Goldie2nd

Thanks I'll try to take a picture like that soon.