Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #1 
Skyewillow

What is the deal with some of these AB sellers?!

I swear, some of the fish going up on AB lately are terrible! Examples:

(These two I ended up buying because I felt bad for them, I love them both, but they're definitely deformed, the first one has one of the worst heads Linda's ever seen, and the second one's spine is pretty crooked)

But then there's this guy:

he has a lump on his head, and his back hunches up to meet his dorsal.

I don't know why it's becoming a thing for them to post fish like this, but it's a little ridiculous. Then again, I'm sure it's for those of us who feel the need to "rescue" fish like this. Then they still make the money off of their culls.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah I've noticed that too ><

That second guy's coloration is gorgeous though! Darn it, I certainly wouldn't mind him as a pet, but I have no room.

I've got mixed feelings about selling culls, I mean, they could certainly still make good pets but I also feel like, if they had some sort of deformity, they should have culled it along with the rest. But then again, there's the money and the prospect of being a good pet. So this is where I run into that loop and can't get out of it lol

But damn, if he didn't have those lumps, his dorsal would be amazing for showing (as far as I'm aware) since he doesn't have the few little stubby fins like most DT's have.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #3 
Skyewillow

I agree that he'd make a gorgeous pet prospect, but gosh, his back makes my back hurt just looking at him!

I don't mind buying the "ugly" ones for pets, as long as they have a chance at a quality life, but there's a lot of deformed fish being sold nowadays.

if I had the room, I would buy him, no question about it, but I don't. I actually just bought a DTEE male who doesn't seem to have any real issues.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah true, true. I don't either although I don't think many of my fish are deformed. Just one of my girls, Little Blue who's spine is bent at a 80 degree angle but she can straighten it out when she swims so she doesn't have too much a problem :)

I just don't see the benefit of selling Betta's like these, like yeah, I get there's the money. But he could have severe issues down the road and people are willing to risk that? And gosh, I really hope people have the sense not to breed him lol, I know most people are knowledgeable but others....yeah.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #5 
Skyewillow

I know, I'll buy them sometimes to prevent them from being bred. But I can't always do that.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #6 
Riverotter

I hate to tell you - I know that you're trying to be kind - but buying fish like that only encourage the sellers to keep selling them. Especially on Aquabid where they get such good prices.

So long as they're making money, they have no reason to stop.

I get what you're feeling. Really, I do. I rescue animals. I have rescued fish in the past, worked in animal shelters and currently have 5 rescue dogs picked up from the side of the road, under a shed, in a parking lot, dumped at my house, etc. But I never, EVER pay a breeder or dealer for an animal that shouldn't be sold.
It only encourages them.

I grit my teeth and walk away chanting "It's for the best, they'll stop breeding if they can't sell. It's for the best ..." and I cry if I have too. But I don't give them any money, because it rewards them for doing the wrong thing, and then they have no reason to stop.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverotter View Post
I hate to tell you - I know that you're trying to be kind - but buying fish like that only encourage the sellers to keep selling them. Especially on Aquabid where they get such good prices.
You're preaching to the choir. I already know that buying them only lets them know that they can get away with it.

You have to consider this = 1 US dollar is about 29.8 Thai Bahts.
$20 USD (according to this currency converter) is 596.09 Thai Bahts

I paid $15 for each of my girls ($30 total, since they were from the same seller), so Aweenas made 894.14 THB from my pity and concern for those girls.

Breeding is a full-time job over in Thailand, because the international market allows them to actually profit from it, whereas here in the states, it usually costs us MORE to breed bettas than we earn from selling the offspring.

It's just getting a little out of hand, is all.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #8 
Riverotter

Well, yes, you're actually making my point.
You're giving Aweenas absolutely no reason to stop doing this. He made a great deal of money off you.
So while you saved those 2 fish, you sentenced many, many more to coming into existence - why bother breeding healthy fish when people will pay you what is well more then a day's wages for poor ones?

It is easier to raise poor quality fish (or anything and any job)then to do it well. So if you get equally rewarded for doing it the wrong (but easy) way, as for doing it the right (but harder) way - why would you give yourself more work?

If I asked you to dig me a ditch, and told you I'd pay you $500 to do it, and handed you a shovel and the keys to a backhoe - would you use the shovel?

You see, it's not just genetics that create fish that need "rescuing". It is very much care. Poor water quality, inadequate nutrition, overcrowding, temp spikes - all of these can alter and stunt the development of fish, and all of these are conditions that take WORK by someone to overcome.
Why should someone bother working, if someone's going to pay them just the same for not? Backhoe and shovel - people will always take the easiest path.

When you pay money to "rescue" a fish - you're not rescueing it, you're buying it, and that's paying someone for the job they did. You are saying to that person - "Go ahead and raise more fish in poor conditions. You don't have to bother taking pride in it, doing it right, caring, any of it. I'll pay you to not bother."

And so they will, creating more and More and MORE creatures that need saving.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

You can still pay for a rescue. Rescue doesn't mean, "getting something for free", it means "removing from harm". Granted, it's a mixed bag when you pay money for a rescue, but as it's been said, most of the petstores get their money from the supplies. If the larger portion of revenue came from the fish themselves, they'd take better care of them.

I don't consider my girls a rescue, I have no proof that they'd be put down if they didn't sell, but I personally like the fish who aren't perfect, so I fell in love with them for their imperfections and bought them.

the difference here should be that they can sell a non-deformed fish for more money, and it would be that purpose to strive for better fish. I think this is just an attempt to still make money off of the ones they couldn't really otherwise sell. All of their other fish were normal and healthy, both sellers that were highlighted in my original post.

I sometimes do the same with plushes. "Well, crud, this one didn't turn out right, so I can try selling it as a discount as 'damaged goods' to recoup my costs." I'm sure breeding costs more than sewing plushes does.

(Also, the phrase "Preaching to the Choir" means that you're talking to someone who already knows what you're talking about. It's usually said in agreement to a statement.)
Old 05-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

Maybe I am jaded and cynical, but I do not think one person choosing to not buy one deformed fish is going to send a message to a commerical breeder that sells thousands of fish a year or a big name store like Walmart that leaves dozens of fish to rot on the shelves a week. It's noble, but it is simply not enough to hurt their profit margins.

That's one crappy topline...
Link: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1369595826

She also has a sister for sale: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1369596700
Fenghuang is online now   Reply With Quote