Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #11 
romance00

oh crap! i hope you stay safe!! hunker down!

and i'm definitely gonna keep a look out for these bubble nests...that would be REALLY cool to see!
romance00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #12 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Hi there again romance00 where did you get that Santa in the first picture, love it ! I dont have any Santa tank decorations but did get some Grinch ones last Christmas from my daughter as a gift. Also some Bettas will go months without making any bubble nest and then all of sudden they start making one. When I first got Perseus he was in a half a gallon little tank for a week while I waited for his 5 gallon and he was making bubble nests in it but when I changed him over to the 5 gallon it took like 4 months before he blowed his first one in it. Hang in there and watch around the corners of his home for any bubbles that are in a group, they also like to make them underneath things that are floating on the surface of the water.

ArrowheadShark stay safe these storms firing up are scary. Happy to hear Shark is blowing a bubble nest, so much fun to watch. That is what Perseus does too, he will work awhile on his and then take a break and patrol his home then back to the bubble nest. Funny little fishies...
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #13 
Laki

Be careful!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #14 
romance00

Perseusmom, i got it at petsmart in december...they had a few different ones (santa, reindeer, snowman, and one other i can't remember) that were sitting on this endcap. we happened to walk by and spotted them - they should have put them in a more obvious place because they were all so cute!

question on silk plants: have any of you ever seen them with suction cups on the bottom? fishy's tank doesn't have gravel right now (it's easier to clean with none but i'm considering getting him some to pretty up the tank) and the plants wont stand up unless they've got the cups...except i havent found any. have any of you seen them?

if i do get gravel, it's the same cleaning procedure as normal (just rinse with hot water to get rid of anything gross) or have you found a better way to clean them??
Old 05-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #15 
Laki

I have only cleaned my gravel once in a year. It harbours the BB (beneficial bacteria) so all you need to do is suction through it every second water change with a gravel vac or turkey baster. How large is your tank again?

Anything under 5g actually, the gravel should be cleaned by rinsing it every second or third water change.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #16 
ArrowheadShark

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by romance00 View Post
Perseusmom, i got it at petsmart in december...they had a few different ones (santa, reindeer, snowman, and one other i can't remember) that were sitting on this endcap. we happened to walk by and spotted them - they should have put them in a more obvious place because they were all so cute!

question on silk plants: have any of you ever seen them with suction cups on the bottom? fishy's tank doesn't have gravel right now (it's easier to clean with none but i'm considering getting him some to pretty up the tank) and the plants wont stand up unless they've got the cups...except i havent found any. have any of you seen them?

if i do get gravel, it's the same cleaning procedure as normal (just rinse with hot water to get rid of anything gross) or have you found a better way to clean them??
I've heard some people recommend riverstones, or there are other substrates you could look into. I'm not expert on that, though, @.@ And thanks for the safe wishes, guys! I'm alive and fine, obviously, XD So is Shark; still working on his bubble nest, it's gotten to the size of my palm.

So many bubbles

Never seen any plants with the suction cups - but perhaps you could take the plants and tie them to rocks? Then they'd be weighted down, but you could still keep the bare bottom for cleaning. I bet you could find decorations with plants attached to them, too.

Hope that helps :P
ArrowheadShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #17 
romance00

good to hear you're ok arrowhead!!

my tank is only 2 gallons, so if i just rinsed the gravel every OTHER week, you think that would be ok?
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #18 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
good to hear you're ok arrowhead!!

my tank is only 2 gallons, so if i just rinsed the gravel every OTHER week, you think that would be ok?
I'm going to be doing 50% waterchanges twice weekly, so I'd be vaccuming the gravel once every week. I don't have a gravel vac yet, but I'll either be making one or buying one hopefully soon. My dad wants to take me to the pet store! >w< *Squeals* I hope he'll let me get some things for Shark!

I've no experience to draw from yet, but I would think doing the gravel vac weekly would be better? Especially since we both have such little tanks - and even though Shark's water seems clear, i know there's a bunch of crud sitting on the bottom *recalls last water change* ._.'
Old 05-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #19 
romance00

that's what i was thinking too...might as well do it every week and keep them nice and clean :)

have fun at the pet store! im heading there right after work to pick up some stuff :D
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #20 
ArrowheadShark

Quote:
that's what i was thinking too...might as well do it every week and keep them nice and clean :)

have fun at the pet store! im heading there right after work to pick up some stuff :D
i love/hate going to pet stores. I love getting all the stuff and seieng cute critters, but I hate thinking about how they got there, how they are kept, the fact they might not go to a good home or a good owner with good intentions but lacking the right knowledge or conditions...