Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #21 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Once it's treated it's safe but it should match your bettas temperature before using it.
This is true, you can go a step further if you have a bucket to spare and let the treated water sit about 24 hours. While not necessary it surely does not hurt.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #22 
msfishtoyou

Thank you for answering!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:19 AM   #23 
Goodgardenpeas28

SO Angry

I am so angry at the pet store I bought my betta from. I went in asking for a "low-maintenance" fish he shows me a betta says ALL I NEED IS A TANK! oh and the food, no heater no filter not even water conditioner! I come on this site to learn more about my betta and I find out that I could potentially be killing my fish because of some stupid pet store employee, fortunately I already have him in a 2 gallon container instead of the tiny fishbowl they tried to sell me! GRRR It makes me so angry when pet store clerks misrepresent their knowledge about animals it makes me want to scream. Thank you so much for the useful info on my betta, I am now in the process of getting him a heater!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #24 
Belbster66

I have a question! Do i have to have a filter in my tank???? And I am about to buy a betta fish from a walmart! What advice do you give me about choosing a healthy one?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #25 
Belbster66

I have a question! Do i have to have a filter in my tank???? And I am about to buy a betta fish from a walmart! What advice do you give me about choosing a healthy one?
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #26 
Scienceluvr8

No, you don't have to, but depending on your tank size, it can make cleanings much easier. What size tank are you planning on keeping him?

Well, when choosing a betta, first see if he is acitve/responsive. Look at the fins, check to see if their curled, frayed, or have tiny holes,this could be fin rot. They may look a little depressed, some are just like that because of their small containers, once home they will show their true personality! Good luck on finding a fish!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #27 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbster66 View Post
Do yourself and the Betta a huge favor. Keep the fish in a tank of at least five gal with a small heater and a filter. Sponge filters are inexpensive and work well.Most of the people here have good intentions in regards to their fish but they keep insisting on keeping these fish in small ,unfiltered, Containers. Worse yet in my view,, they tell newcomers it's ok. Bottom line,, these fish don't care if you love them, all they want,(need) is a proper enviornment. Anything smaller than five gal, Ten would be better, is cruel treatment in my view. Read up on cycling an aquarium and give your fish the enviornment it deserves.
To those who suggest otherwise,,,You are in my view,, Just a step above walmart,petco, etc in their care of these fish and you promote the same treatment by telling others it's ok. One need only look at the numerous posts regarding sick Bettas to find merit with my statements and I apologize to no one for them.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #28 
Belbster66

Thank u guys a ton this really helped me to figure out what i need to do this is my first betta and i didn't realize all that had to be done for them this really helped right now my betta is gonna be in a one gallon tank but i am in the process of buying him a five gallon tank within the next week and getting a heater and filter thanks soooo much!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #29 
Belbster66

The only reason i decided to get one from Walmart is because i saw them yesterday and felt awful for them the all look so depressed and a lot of them have lost there color and are being put in VERY small containers that the can barley move in so i felt as if i needed to rescue them
Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #30 
Vikki81207

My baby Blue is from Walmart and he is one of my favorites. He's been by far the healthiest of my boys. Hes a great fish too. Lets me pet him sometimes
Closed Thread