Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #41 
jaysee
Reference Team

"High" nitrates stall the cycle?? How so?

Nitrates are the final result of the cycle, so if they are being produced that means that everything is intact and functioning as it should.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #42 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
"High" nitrates stall the cycle?? How so?

Nitrates are the final result of the cycle, so if they are being produced that means that everything is intact and functioning as it should.

I don't know the science behind it but if the nitrates stay >80 for say a week or more it can & does stall a cycle.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #43 
jaysee
Reference Team

Was 40, now it's 80 what's so significant about a week?

Any empirical evidence? Or a link to some anecdotal evidence?

Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #44 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Was 40, now it's 80 what's so significant about a week?

Any empirical evidence? Or a link to some anecdotal evidence?

Well, with 80 I'm referring to a fish less cycle, 40 or greater is said to not be healthy for fish. As I said I don't know the science behind it, I'm going by the experience of multiple fish keepers more experienced than I.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #45 
Jexx

WELL i did the 50% water change and then redosed. today when I tested my readings were :
AMMO: 0-0.25PPM
nitRITES: 0-0.25 PPM
nitRATES:20PPM

:D Obviously the 50% water change worked! I am almost done my cycle. Thanks!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #46 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Obviously there is no such thing as 100% nitrate in solution. Somewhere along the way the nitrosomonas is going to slow its conversion of nitrite to nitrate. My reading online indicates the consensus is at 40/50ppm nitrate, this conversion slows down measurably.

I've personally observed that >6.0ppm ammonia and/or 5.0ppm nitrite will stall the cycle.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #47 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Obviously there is no such thing as 100% nitrate in solution. Somewhere along the way the nitrosomonas is going to slow its conversion of nitrite to nitrate. My reading online indicates the consensus is at 40/50ppm nitrate, this conversion slows down measurably.

I've personally observed that >6.0ppm ammonia and/or 5.0ppm nitrite will stall the cycle.
Yes, I agree with the latter, but not the former. The nitrates in my 125 are always over 40-50 ppm when I do a water change, yet there is never any measurable nitrite. I doubt any of the people involved in the consensus let their tanks nitrates get that high to begin with, for fear their tanks would explode. There is a TON of fear mongering when it comes to fish keeping. Many people just mindlessly repeat things that they read and present it as fact, giving no consideration to the credence of the source, which is often just some person parroting something that THEY read somewhere. It's rampant in this hobby, and it's a shame. It's a shame that people don't find things out for themselves.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #48 
Hallyx
Reference Team

There is not time in a life to experiment, research and discover all "truths" for oneself. We rely on expert advice continually. It's always been like this; nor could we survive any other way.

In dealing with information, online or live, we soon learn what and whom to trust. If we don't ........
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #49 
Jexx

I tested today and my cycle is complete! 0 ammo, 0 nitrites and 40 nitrates. Thank you again for the advice to do a water change. I am so happy!!!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #50 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
There is not time in a life to experiment, research and discover all "truths" for oneself.
Sure there is! tackle one at a time. Unless you are a senior citizen, one can expect to keep fish for decades. PLENTY of time to learn. Of course that's only if one has a desire to learn, which is not true of everyone.

Congratulations on finishing your cycle.