Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #1281 
NeptunesMom

Thanks. Yes, it did help.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #1282 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
I saw a thread once where an Apple/Mystery snail startled and closed on a frog's foot
might've been a thread of mine, I posted something about my male Clawed frog who got his foot stuck in my trapdoor's shell and panicked. (I had to "save" him.)

Aside from that, my ADF is kept in a planted tank with nerites, my trapdoor, and some MTS.

Also, I picked up another ADF today. She's skinny, but not sick. The others couldn't sink and were severely emaciated, and I don't think I could handle them dying on me, so as much as I hated to leave them there, I had to. She doesn't have a name yet.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:14 PM   #1283 
jlllm

Popcorndeer; I'm sorry about your frog. I always fear that one sneaks out in the night and freaked out because I couldn't find one anywhere once. I have the filter hole saran wrapped and taped as the hole is excessively large. I have only had frogs since Easter.
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:15 AM   #1284 
djembekah

I haven't had a frog since Frogger died (my first and last frog who lives a week-i feel so bad!) I'd loveto try again but the only spot one could live is in my 5.5 with my betta (who does exceptionally well with tank mates) and 3 ghost shrimp. not sure if i should...but OH i want to!!
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #1285 
NeptunesMom

So, I posted this in emergencies under the thread for my emergency, but since this is the ADF care page I decided to ask here to.

Can an ADF get fungus from a betta? I exposed my ADF to my rescue that I thought was just stressed, but this afternoon I noticed a small white spot of fuzz on his side. I have removed my betta cupped him while I prep a hospital tank without a heater. If so, what would be the best course of action. Yes, I know I should QT (and normally I would've), but I looked him over very closely and he did not appear to have anything outwardly wrong with him. His color was even vibrant until this afternoon. I did not have a tank with a heater, and so I put him into the only tank I could with a heater that I thought would be safe. Everything i read online said fish and frogs have no diseases that can cross species, but I didn't see anything about fungus (and I guess I didn't even think of it since his color was good).
Old 05-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #1286 
Chesh

My guess would be that fungal spores are fungal spores, and as such can affect anything in the tank - both fish and frogs alike. Just a guess, though. . . it could very well be that some are more prone to infecting fish than frogs - I'm not really sure!

I think your froggy should be okay, as long as he is healthy - with no wounds or abrasions, in clean water, and not under a lot of stress. . . In my understanding, various fungal spores are always to be found in any tank, it's only when the animal is under stress, as you say your betta is/was, that their immune systems falter and such things get the upper hand . . . I'd still do extra water changes to clear out any potential nasties - just to be as safe as possible - clean water can't cause any harm, for sure!

In the last year or so that I've been keeping them, I've lost only one of my frogs - my first. She had a few previous health concerns, and I made a few mistakes with her in the beginning. One day she got a really bad fungal infection, which I suspect was caused by past damage taking it's toll, though she had been fine for many months prior. I moved her into a QT/hospital tank, but in spite of all I did to treat her, she died. The other frog that shared the same tank was perfectly fine, and is now living happily in my 55. He had been kept well since I brought him home, and has always been a happy little boy. Not a fish/frog situation, but why I think that as long as he's healthy, your frog should be okay. . .

I wish I had something more concrete to offer you. . . hopefully one of the others will have come across a similar situation and can be of more help. I hope your betta recovers quickly. . . :(

Last edited by Chesh; 05-21-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #1287 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
My guess would be that fungal spores are fungal spores, and as such can affect anything in the tank - both fish and frogs alike. Just a guess, though. . . it could very well be that some are more prone to infecting fish than frogs - I'm not really sure!

I think your froggy should be okay, as long as he is healthy - with no wounds or abrasions, in clean water, and not under a lot of stress. . . In my understanding, various fungal spores are always to be found in any tank, it's only when the animal is under stress, as you say your betta is/was, that their immune systems falter and such things get the upper hand . . . I'd still do extra water changes to clear out any potential nasties - just to be as safe as possible - clean water can't cause any harm, for sure!

In the last year or so that I've been keeping them, I've lost only one of my frogs - my first. She had a few previous health concerns, and I made a few mistakes with her in the beginning. One day she got a really bad fungal infection, which I suspect was caused by past damage taking it's toll, though she had been fine for many months prior. I moved her into a QT/hospital tank, but in spite of all I did to treat her, she died. The other frog that shared the same tank was perfectly fine, and is now living happily in my 55. He had been kept well since I brought him home, and has always been a happy little boy. Not a fish/frog situation, but why I think that as long as he's healthy, your frog should be okay. . .

I wish I had something more concrete to offer you. . . hopefully one of the others will have come across a similar situation and can be of more help. I hope your betta recovers quickly. . . :(
Thanks for the information. I think the frog (still going to call it Beatrix until I figure out if it's a boy or girl) is healthy. It comes out of it's cave in the evening, and stays out until probably 11:00. Then it disappears back into it's cave. It is a little bit chunker monker (I may still be figuring out how much to feed), but it swims around fine and explores when it's out and about.

I just feel really awful. I think I exposed my other fish to it as well. There was a tornado that passed just north of us on May 19th, and I think I cross contaminated when I was frantically trying to grab fish. I guess when the sirens are sounding cross contamination is not what you are thinking of. It's a good lesson for the future though.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #1288 
Chesh

Beatrix is a fantastic name, I love it! Usually the female frogs tend to be the chubbier ones, you can tell a male if you can spot a little white or pink 'pimple' just by its armpit. ^.^

I can't imagine what I'd do in a situation like that one - scary! Cross-contaminating tanks would have been the least of my worries at that moment, too. Hopefully it will be okay. Just up your water changes for a week or two - on all of the tanks - until everything clears up and settles down. I can't advise on how to treat a betta, but I'm sure you've gotten that info on the illness board.

Good luck, and try not to worry too much . . . *hugs*
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:21 PM   #1289 
Skyewillow

a lot of bacterial infections show up as a fuzz that looks like a fungus. A lot of fish fungal cures actually contain antibiotics. For a quick example, columnaris looks like a fungus at first, Tetracycline and Nitrofurazone are both antibiotics.

The frogs are prone to a fungus called Chytrid, that is very deadly for them. according to a link a frog friend sent me, there is treatment for it, but you'd definitely have to QT if you have inverts in the same tank.

Also, it's great news that Beatrix is eating! Huzzah!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #1290 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
a lot of bacterial infections show up as a fuzz that looks like a fungus. A lot of fish fungal cures actually contain antibiotics. For a quick example, columnaris looks like a fungus at first, Tetracycline and Nitrofurazone are both antibiotics.

The frogs are prone to a fungus called Chytrid, that is very deadly for them. according to a link a frog friend sent me, there is treatment for it, but you'd definitely have to QT if you have inverts in the same tank.

Also, it's great news that Beatrix is eating! Huzzah!
Good to know. Can they get Chytrid from fish? Or is it only frog to frog? She (based on Chesherca's description I'm going to say Beatrix is a girl since there's no pimple in the pit ) is eating like a little piggy. I put bloodworms on her plate turn around to get more, turn back and she's sitting in an empty plate with a look like "Human! Get me more!" I really wanted to get her a buddy, but decided since I didn't have anywhere to QT that was heated it would be unfair for the ADF. That was kinda the hope for Hidalgo (the betta) that he could be her buddy once he was feeling better.

Chesherca: Thanks for the support. I just feel like if they get sick it's my fault for not taking more precautions. But, it's over and done with now. I went and picked up API Fungus Cure, API Erythromycin, Maracyn and Maracyn II. So, I figure I'm ready for whatever might come.