Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #1 
addersblack

Post Making Betta Plans

I've been a member of this forum for a while now. I've never posted, mainly because caring for a fish was prohibited with my previous lifestyle and living space. I was just learning and daydreaming. Now that's changed.

I'm so excited. I've literally longed, ached for an aquarium since childhood, but I've made do with frequent visits to public aquariums. (That said, you have no idea how glad I am I didn't get an aquarium while I was a child. I wouldn't have been ready for it. Frankly, I'm glad I didn't have one before there was the Internet and resources such as this forum.)

A few years ago I took a dream trip through Thailand and Cambodia and it created this deep love of Southeast Asia in me that cont. If you have not been you would not believe how beautiful the environment is. My particular interest in Bettas starts in their homeland.

Before I get a fish, I'm spacing out my starter purchases.

I've bought an semi-hex acrylic tank with a hood, florescent light, and power filter. It is five gallons, a compromise between my space and providing. I'm not sure if the filter will work out; it's the one element of the kit that gets some negative reviews. It might need switching out in time.

Next, a heater (probably a Aquon Pro 50W) and a thermometer. And then a test kit (API Freshwater Master Test Kit, probably). Then there are siphons, buckets, conditioners, hopefully find some worn old towels around the house, substrate. I have decide if I want to go real or go fake on plants.

It might be a while before I can get my fish... still, I'm on my way.
addersblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hello and welcome to the forum

Kudos to you for getting all of your supplies ready and doing your research before bringing home your new fish buddy
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #3 
addersblack

Thank you.

I was so intent on including some interesting info to read and thick in betta research... I forgot to actually say hello.

Hi, everyone!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:40 PM   #4 
Fin Fancier

Welcome to the forum! You're already off to a great start on gathering your supplies. I with I'd known about this forum when I was a child; my parents gave in ;). I loved my bettas, but my current three are more than spoiled thanks to the info I've picked up here.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #5 
addersblack

Thanks for the welcome, Fin Fancier.

Truth be told, if it wasn't for the Web and the passion of Betta fish owners for keeping their fish healthy, I'm afraid I might have ended up with a gallon or half gallon Betta container or vase (shudder) and no heat or filtration and not even known when the fish was expressing distress. So I'm really grateful for the resource.