Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #1 
BakaMandy

Smile Question about eggs

I just bought a female betta because I was told they're a lot of fun. I do have a male but I don't plan to mate them.

When I got home, I noticed that she had this kind of opaque white sack coming from her egg spot.

So I was wondering if it's normal for females to lay eggs even if they've not been conditioned to mate? Because I wasn't aware of that. I just want to make sure it's not a bad thing.

I looked to see if there was another topic like this but I couldn't find one @_@

Ahaha, my male betta is like staring at me jealously while I play with her xD

Another quick question about females while I'm at it. When I turn off the lights, she turns a dark blue and red colour, but when I turn on the lights, she slowly starts to turn into a lighter tan colour with black spots and black stripes going horizontally across her body.

Is it normal for them to change colour? Cause I know my male has never changed colour.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 07-03-2009 at 12:13 AM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #2 
dr2b

Um, I didn't think bettas were hermaphodites...well actually they aren't...or we'd have females having babies all the time! I have no idea what that could be.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 AM   #3 
cindylou

Hey, I have bred bettas before and that white spot is only showing you that she is ready to spawn, it will stay there until she is bred but it won't harm her if she is not bred. Also, they don't lay eggs on there own because the male turns her upside down and sqeezes the eggs out of her and carries them to the bubble nest and spits them in it. After that he takes care of them and she is removed. Hope I could help.
cindylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:43 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

If she's full of eggs, she''ll either reabsorb them or she'll release them. The horizontal stripes are stress stripes. For some reason, the lights coming on must scare her.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

Hmmm okay thank you!

She doesn't look like she's full of eggs (at least compared to pictures I've seen), she's actually pretty tiny. But she's had now two eggs come out O_o; and they're kind of stringed together with a long membrane the same colour of the eggs... She keeps rubbing her belly against the bottom of the tank to get them off her.

@dramaqueen: Oh i see. well the place I bought her was pretty dark, maybe she's not used to the direct light yet.

Now I'm just worried because she hasn't eaten anything yet D: She was sharing a tiny fish bowl with like 6 other females at the pet store ): I hope nothing's wrong...
Old 07-04-2009, 09:34 AM   #6 
BakaMandy

I managed to take some pictures of her with the egg sack coming out of her D:

I just want to make sure she's not sick T_T;
Old 07-04-2009, 10:19 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

She looks happy and healthy to me :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:51 PM   #8 
BakaMandy

Yeah, I know she looks fine, but I was wondering if it was natural for females to expel eggs on her own.

On a side note, they're now kinda brownish tinge, but it doesn't look like poop cause it's still pretty translucent. D:
Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #9 
Cody

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Um, I didn't think bettas were hermaphodites...well actually they aren't...or we'd have females having babies all the time! I have no idea what that could be.
A lot of bettas are hermaphodites. More than you think, too. And hermaphodites cannot get fertalized eggs on their own, so you know.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:39 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
Yeah, I know she looks fine, but I was wondering if it was natural for females to expel eggs on her own.

On a side note, they're now kinda brownish tinge, but it doesn't look like poop cause it's still pretty translucent. D:
That's not the egg sack.

BTW, whats a hermophodite or whatever?
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote