Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #31 
Laki

Aw, they're cute! They look like they'll be a very deep red. It's a sin that the ad didn't state the majority would be babies. However, now you can enjoy their full lifespan! And watch them grow.

How many did you order? And were they all alive? From my experience, you won't need parasite guard stuff. I have planaria in my shrimp tank and even new born shrimp survive. Planaria are supposedly one of the worst parasites for baby shrimp. As long as both have enough food they should be fine.

My newborns molt and grow every week. By 2 weeks they're coloring in, so yours shouldn't be too small for too long.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #32 
Splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Aw, they're cute! They look like they'll be a very deep red. It's a sin that the ad didn't state the majority would be babies. However, now you can enjoy their full lifespan! And watch them grow.

How many did you order? And were they all alive? From my experience, you won't need parasite guard stuff. I have planaria in my shrimp tank and even new born shrimp survive. Planaria are supposedly one of the worst parasites for baby shrimp. As long as both have enough food they should be fine.

My newborns molt and grow every week. By 2 weeks they're coloring in, so yours shouldn't be too small for too long.
It said 10+ and they were all alive thankfully! I just didn't expect tiny babies, I had to double take because I only saw a few lol. I can only see a few in the tank right now too, they're just that teeny!

So will the planaria kill off the babies if they mate? It's just a concern I have and want to make sure nothing will go wrong!

Last edited by Splash; 05-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #33 
Laki

You know what, I cannot guarantee anything. But I haven't had many casualties, I have only found dead adults so if babies are dying I don't know. However, I see baby shrimp and planaria on the glass all the time and they ignore each other. My shrimp tank's maintenance is pretty simple though, I don't scrub the glass (only near the top if I have any evaporation and the plants stick to it and dry in) and I only remove water and poop with a turkey baster (very gently) so I'm thinking the planaria don't have a reason to kill the shrimp bc there's enough food for them all.

I don't feed my shrimp very often but I read somewhere that you cn manually remove planaria by lowering a piece of red meat into the water and turning off the lights. Planaria will swarm it and you can remove that. I have not tried this bc I'm too afraid of what red meat can do to my water lol
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #34 
Splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
You know what, I cannot guarantee anything. But I haven't had many casualties, I have only found dead adults so if babies are dying I don't know. However, I see baby shrimp and planaria on the glass all the time and they ignore each other. My shrimp tank's maintenance is pretty simple though, I don't scrub the glass (only near the top if I have any evaporation and the plants stick to it and dry in) and I only remove water and poop with a turkey baster (very gently) so I'm thinking the planaria don't have a reason to kill the shrimp bc there's enough food for them all.

I don't feed my shrimp very often but I read somewhere that you cn manually remove planaria by lowering a piece of red meat into the water and turning off the lights. Planaria will swarm it and you can remove that. I have not tried this bc I'm too afraid of what red meat can do to my water lol
Red meat? That is different lol! I'll have to read up on planaria, never heard of it before!

Also I swear the shrimp find my snail like some sorta attraction ride at a carnival. It's entertaining to watch my snail make her rounds around the tank and the shrimp climbing on top of her. :

These guys are really red and already eating!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #35 
Laki

Two crimson ladies :) It's cute how they're riding the snail!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #36 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Most sellers sendd baby-ish shrimp because they seem to adjust to new conditions more readily.

Before you use any medicine in a tank containing shrimp, make sure it's invert-safe.

Glad you got your shrimp; they certainly are red, red, red! Have fun and enjoy.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #37 
Splash

Ah okay, they are roaming around some were hanging out on the filter eating. They seem really healthy! I just looked at parasite guard and it isn't safe for them. Looking up what planaria is it seems like mixed reviews on whether its harmful or not. Some are saying its usually confused with another type of worm too?
Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #38 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

You can use a turkey baster to suck them up. Planaria are often caused by overfeeding. Remove any food not eaten within an hour. A turkey baster can be the best friend of a small tank.

BTW, if you have live plants, the shrimp will get plenty of food. Oh, those on the snail shell are probably cleaning it of algae.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:51 PM   #39 
Splash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
You can use a turkey baster to suck them up. Planaria are often caused by overfeeding. Remove any food not eaten within an hour. A turkey baster can be the best friend of a small tank.

BTW, if you have live plants, the shrimp will get plenty of food. Oh, those on the snail shell are probably cleaning it of algae.
They're so tiny I'd have no idea where to begin lol! Thank you, I'll have to go get one. I do have two live plants in there and plan on getting more. Does this mean that I shouldn't throw in some algae discs for them too? My snail eats a whole algae disc so I usually throw that in and break one up and give the shrimp a half of it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:21 PM   #40 
Laki

Plnaria are usually confused with nematodes, I certainly made that mistake! But I also had both so...

I don't know where all this info is coming from, I might have over fed my shrimp when I got them but I have since removed their gravel and stopped feeding them almost altogether (they eat off the glass and live plants) and I also suction out the planaria when I see them. They still multiply. So I am one of the minority whose planaria thrive without the tank being overfed lol