Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #31 
keepsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
Yes, it's a warning that people often repeat, despite there NEVER being any "gas bubbles killed my fish" threads. I suppose it's possible that that's the ONE problem that everyone manages to avoid.... But that's not likely. Its much more likely that it is not the threat that people think it is. We see threads about every stupid little thing, but NEVER about gas bubbles killing fish. There's a reason for that...

Sent from Petguide.com App
I notice you have said this about a few topics. I am 54 years old and this is not my first rodeo. I am not going to yank anyone's chain. I will tell you straight up. What Elizabeth is talking about is anaerobic pockets, caused by DEEP substrate of sand. I did not have an issue with my nanos as they were just superficial and shallow.
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #32 
keepsmiling

Also worth mentioning. If you were into keeping saltwater tanks you will see a lot more people talking about issues with sandbeds and anaerobic pockets, death caused by it, etc...as I said it happens with deep sandbeds and rocks covering that sand so no circulation moves through it.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #33 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepsmiling View Post
I notice you have said this about a few topics. I am 54 years old and this is not my first rodeo. I am not going to yank anyone's chain. I will tell you straight up. What Elizabeth is talking about is anaerobic pockets, caused by DEEP substrate of sand. I did not have an issue with my nanos as they were just superficial and shallow.
Deeper than anyone keeps, which I why I say what I say. Perhaps if one had 4 inches of sand they may have an issue, but honestly the only people that would have such a deep sand bed would be those TRYING to create an anaerobic environment for the purpose of complete denitrification.

jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #34 
keepsmiling

True perhaps. Besides though, you may not see a lot of people coming back saying what they did killed their fish because honestly, who wants to log on just to get beat up?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #35 
AyalaCookiejar

Wow, I missed a lot of this thread, lol.

If the poo is what bothers you, I wouldn't add more of anything, especially snails. But it is used by the plants as ferts. Snails will clean up the algae quick - Nerite snails can't breed in freshwater either so I chose to have them instead of ramshorns. No overpopulation worries there.

I have heard of those gas pockets mostly in NPTs with soil substrate. Some people get snails or fish that burrow into the substrate to avoid that. I know that loaches burrow into the substrate and can help to avoid those pockets. It can make a huge mess in soil when it blows up, pretty much, and leaves dirt floating everywhere in the tank. Not sure how deadly that is, but I honestly don't know much about it so I'm not going to say much more, lol.

With planted tanks you only really need to siphon half the tank at a time. Leaving the poo for the plants to use. I had to suck out snail poo with a bastor daily - my Nerite leaves piles all over the place. I agree that it's not a good option if that's what you are trying to avoid.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #36 
ElizabethB

Wow- a lot has been said since I left the house lol. My sand is probably 2.5 inches deep at most, because I wanted to give the plants something to root in. The red water lily was suffering in my male betta tank (with gravel substrate), but is doing wonderfully in the sorority (lots of new growth).

So, there is a danger with deep, un-circulated sand, but not with superficial sand.

The poo I can deal with. I do a 25% water change every week, and my tank is nowhere near 100% occupied. It is the algae and shedding of the plant waste that drives me batty. My Amazon Sword tends to stay covered with algae, and while it is surviving, it isn't thriving. Perhaps I should have started this in the planted tank forum . I find lots of greenish plant matter that the vacuum doesn't pick up- I'm pretty sure that it is coming from the sword.

Thanks for all of your thoughts, links, and speculations. Perhaps a moderator could move the thread?
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #37 
ElizabethB

I'll post a video in a bit- maybe that will help.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #38 
jaysee
Reference Team

As far as loaches and what not burrowing in the sand to "prevent gas pockets", they have no effect. As was mentioned, those gas pockets can form in DEEP sand beds, and there is nothing short of trumpet snails that will dig down to the bottom. Fish that burrow in the sand do so in the top inch, which is not where the pockets can form. Furthermore, your loaches (of which only some burrow) should not be burrowing - that is a flight response to a threat, and your fish should not feel threatened very often.

jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM   #39 
RussellTheShihTzu

I recently ordered this gravel vac and really like it. I use a turkey baster between times.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #40 
AyalaCookiejar

The loaches are actually my brothers. I got them when he moved. He put the tank in my room "temporarily" and still hasn't moved it. I just do water changes (those things haven't had regular water changes for 5 years).

I know they aren't in proper conditions at all, though. He has regular gravel substrate, only had a plant and a car decoration (they hid all the time so he didn't put more decor in), and he only has 2 in his ten gallon, plus a plecostamus. I know there should be more, with sand substrate and that its too small for the plecostamus but since its not my tank, I'm not going to fish it. I have added a few more fake plants and started feeding them my NLS as opposed to the Wardley flakes he was feeding them, and they've become more active, but they still stay in the substrate most of the time.

I only have bettas myself, so I wouldn't take my advice on other fish too seriously, lol. It's just what I have read.

Edit: what I'm saying is listen to Jaysee and not me :p but loaches are really cool! I love watching them but they're only active when I feed them. You definitely need more than two and sand substrate plus more decor. Btw, they are Kuhli loaches.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 05-22-2013 at 06:29 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote