Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2009, 01:42 PM   #11 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

A hermaphrodite is an organism having both male & female reproductive organs.

PS. Banana slugs can self-fertilize. I hope these buggers never find their way into my garden. :)

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 07-05-2009 at 01:44 PM.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

Oh then NO betta species are hermaphodites.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #13 
dr2b

I never learned about bettas being hermaphodites. Sure I've heard of other fish being that, but not bettas. If they were hermaphodites then we wouldn't need to put the two genders together in the tank to have the fry.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #14 
Cody

I think you are getting the impression that ALL bettas are hermaphodites. That is not the case. Some are, but it is a lot more than anyone thinks.

For example, worms are hermaphodites. Though, they cannot make thier own fertilized eggs and then offspring with just themselves. They need another worm. For a betta, it could be a boy with both gender parts, and in order to create offspring, it would have to mate with either a female or another male (which we all know cannot happen).
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #15 
MrVampire181

Me confused...
Old 07-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #16 
dr2b

Yeah, I know very well what a hermaphrodite is... I've taken enough biology classes to know that. But you are completely confusing me now.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #17 
dr2b

If they do have some type of hermaphroditism happening, from what I am seeing on google it is where they have injected females with Testosterone or done something to the fish to make it happen. I'm not seeing anywhere that it occurs naturally as it does with other fish or animals in the wild.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #18 
BakaMandy

So my fish might be a he-she? Ahaha xD if that's the case, I sure know how to pick them.

So um... well does anyone have any idea what the white sack stuff coming from her egg spot is then? Cause I don't think we've quite established what coming out of her, although like I said explained they look like eggs, but they're just stringed together.

I don't think it's poop either because she hasn't eaten anything since I bought her (which I'm kind of worried about since it's now been 3 days.)

And now with the hermaphrodite thing, I'm suddenly very confused xD;

Last edited by BakaMandy; 07-05-2009 at 07:12 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #19 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
So my fish might be a he-she? Ahaha xD if that's the case, I know how to pick them.

So um... well does anyone have any idea what the white sack stuff coming from her belly is then? They look like eggs, but they're just stringed together.

I don't think it's poop because she hasn't eaten anything since I bought her (which I'm kind of worried about since it's now been 3 days.)
I think it's poop. The egg sack sits inside just behind the stomach and I've never heard of it coming out.

And I doubt there are betta species that are hermaphodites. Every betta species I've head of have to embrace under a bubblenest or under the water to reproduce.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:20 PM   #20 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I think it's poop. The egg sack sits inside just behind the stomach and I've never heard of it coming out.

And I doubt there are betta species that are hermaphodites. Every betta species I've head of have to embrace under a bubblenest or under the water to reproduce.

Agreed.