Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2009, 02:04 PM   #1 
Rain Drop

Unhappy Brand new fish with some fin rot

So, I got Caesar on Friday and noticed then that one of his fins was looking weird. I know it's gotten worse because more of his fin is red, ratty, and transparent looking (although it's not horrible looking....maybe a mild case?). Also, his other fins are torn here and there but there is no sign of infection.....so yesterday I went out and bought him "Bettafix" for what I think is fin rot. I changed his tank yesterday and gave him a dose.

So my question is, how often should I change his tank while he's on this med? and what percentage? Keep in mind I don't have a filter

On the bottle of the "Bettafix" it says to give a dose daily for 7 days and when that's up, change his tank then.....the pet store people say to change his tank weekly and by 50% (btw my tank is a 2.5 gallon) normally if he was perfectly fine.

By looking around the internet, there's a lot of different opinions, so its very confusing D: This place seems the best, so I ask, please help! (and sorry for such a long post)
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Try the BettaFix and if dosen't work an antibiotic might have to be used.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #3 
Rain Drop

Thanks MrVampire, but that didn't really answer my question D;
Old 07-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #4 
neenjar

Is the tank filtered and cycled? If so I highly recommend treating him in a separate container.

If not then do 100% daily water changes along with the bettafix and some aquarium salt. Clean water and salt are the real keys to curing fin rot, bettafix will work as a healing agent.

I also highly recommend giving him a few salt baths. Up to 5 a day. I wrote a nice how too on it : http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=25297

In my 25+ years of fish keeping I have found the holistic methods to work the best when things are caught early.

I only use meds like antibiotics and anti fungals when holistic methods fail.

bettafix is tea tree oil and I would classify it as holistic as well,but it is not a cure all. Salt and clean water!

I use a few drops of betta fix along with a pich of aquarium salt every water change just as a preventative.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:16 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

Thank-you so much neenjar!!<3
I really appreciate it =D