Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #21 
jentralala
Reference Team

Does she let you give her belly rubs or pick her up? Check and see if she's still producing milk, if she is after 2 weeks or so she's got them somewhere. See if her teats look really swollen, if they are then she's not being able to release the pressure on them (which can be slightly painful until it re-absorbs). If they're swollen and red then she may have lost them somehow :(

I wouldn't give up hope yet. I think it's possible a snake or other predator may have gotten one and she's looking for it, but moved the others. Cats are sneaky, if they don't want you finding those babies it's gonna be near impossible to track them down. And if she lost one, she's going to be hyper protective of their location. And they only take a few moments to feed them and then leave, so she could dart off, feed them, and come back within a few minutes, if they're close.

Do you have a dog, or can borrow someones? That's how I found the first litter, my neighbors dog started barking at the shed floor . A few days later, lo and behold, momma cat was leading her troupe out of the floor.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jentralala View Post
Does she let you give her belly rubs or pick her up? Check and see if she's still producing milk, if she is after 2 weeks or so she's got them somewhere. See if her teats look really swollen, if they are then she's not being able to release the pressure on them (which can be slightly painful until it re-absorbs). If they're swollen and red then she may have lost them somehow :(

I wouldn't give up hope yet. I think it's possible a snake or other predator may have gotten one and she's looking for it, but moved the others. Cats are sneaky, if they don't want you finding those babies it's gonna be near impossible to track them down. And if she lost one, she's going to be hyper protective of their location. And they only take a few moments to feed them and then leave, so she could dart off, feed them, and come back within a few minutes, if they're close.

Do you have a dog, or can borrow someones? That's how I found the first litter, my neighbors dog started barking at the shed floor . A few days later, lo and behold, momma cat was leading her troupe out of the floor.
Thank you, and no she doesn't let us pick her up. Occasionally she'll roll around in the sand in our driveway so I can see her tummy. I'm not sure how spaying her will effect her, that was thing we were worried about, if she'll keep producing for her kittens (provided they are still there) after.

I'm definitely not giving up though, it's hard seeing the light at the end but I know it's there somewhere! And I'm sure they are out there somewhere too!! When I informed the people I did tell them that there is still a small chance they are alive and well hidden and that I would keep them updated, so we'll see how it comes out!

And no, no tracking dogs out here. There are dogs, but they are either old and don't care or they are ankle nippers and don't want to be bothered lol Besides I think Misha would kill a dog if we brought it onto the property haha I plan on going to search myself tomorrow when I can get back to my mom's so I'll keep everyone updated to what's going on with her and them.

Thank you again everyone for your support!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #23 
percyfyshshelley

She can still produce milk if she's spayed. Things don't sound good, but you never know. We can hope for the best. Glad she got ahome with you though.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:04 PM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyfyshshelley View Post
She can still produce milk if she's spayed. Things don't sound good, but you never know. We can hope for the best. Glad she got ahome with you though.
That's also good to know, we weren't sure how it would effect her. I'll certainly keep an eye on her when she goes back out. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #25 
Skyewillow

I'm sure your friends will continue to be understanding and compassionate. Misha is the one with the biggest loss.

Also, I agree with Fenghuang. It's very disappointing to prepare and wait for a pet, and then to lose them before they could come home to you. Just recently had it happen to me twice. While it's true that they can potentially adopt from a shelter, not everyone CAN adopt from a shelter. We were always turned away because our dogs only went to the vet for their rabies shots, they were never sick, so we never took them, but because our dogs didn't go every single year, we weren't considered "good owners", and couldn't adopt.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #26 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I am so very sorry...Hugs Dont give up hope maybe the mother only moved them and since you live in such a big area they could be anywhere. Misha is so beautiful and so are her kittens and you did the best you could in taking good care of them this is not your fault in any way and your friends will be sad like you are but they will understand. There are so many homeless kitties out there that need a good home.

My daughter just a few days ago found a young cat that someone had dropped off at the school she teaches at right behind the dumpster with only enough food for a couple of days so she took her and now I am happy to report we have another cat in the family, but since my daughter lives in NC I only have seen pictures of her. I was so happy that she could take her and give her a nice loving home because she was not sure if she would be able to keep her or not but it all worked out so that she can YAY !

Keep us posted okay and we will all hope for the best, you have lots of support here when you need it.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 05-23-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Perseusmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #27 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
I am so very sorry...Hugs Dont give up hope maybe the mother only moved them and since you live in such a big area they could be anywhere. Misha is so beautiful and so are her kittens and you did the best you could in taking good care of them this is not your fault in any way and your friends will be sad like you are but they will understand. There are so many homeless kitties out there that need a good home.

My daughter just a few days ago found a young cat that someone had dropped off at the school she teaches at right behind the dumpster with only enough food for a couple of days so she took her and now I am happy to report we have another cat in the family, but since my daughter lives in NC I only have seen pictures of her. I was so happy that she could take her and give her a nice loving home because she was not sure if you would be able to keep her or not but it all worked out so that she can YAY !

Keep us posted okay and we will all hope for the best, you have lots of support here when you need it.
Oh that's fantastic about your daughter! That kitty is a very lucky cat indeed!

Yeah, all three of them do understand, it hurts but they understand. And thank you, Misha is adorable :) Not as good lookin' as my other two Maine Coon's but she does well enough haha And thank you, it's generally why I like this thread, most everyone is very supportive and it does make me feel better and then I can help Misha out a little more :)

Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 PM   #28 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!! We found them!!!!!!!!

So actually one of the people that a kitten was going to came over the house today to give me some tin pictures she'd found (knowing I love Capt. America and Iron Man) so I took her out back to see the goldfish in our pond and then we found Misha.

Misha had been going and coming after we let her back outside and we never did an extensive search. I went through our five acres but half of the wooded area I couldn't get to, even my paths I had created through the woods had grown over in only a few years.

So we were sitting on the lawn petting her, she went to the bird bath to get a drink because she'll silly and won't drink the fresh water we give her (it's well water and the same water that goes into our pond) so then we kept trying to call her and she just rather ignored us and walked back towards the house calling out for something.

My mom and I looked at each other and wondered...a little spark of hope came up when Misha laid on the grass and mewed towards the part under our deck where our gas tank is located.

We carefully crept up and found all four kittens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My friend and I nearly squealed with delight...okay that's a lie, we actually did squeal lol.

After careful planning and thought I was able to pick up the kittens who were cornered behind a plastic bin that held our outside toys like frisbee's, volleyball, etc.

Each kitten was picked up and place into a box, Misha looked like she couldn't care less that I was handling them. She likes me but hisses at anyone else which is normal, I'm the animal lady in the family lol.

So we were able to usher the kittens and mama inside and held them for a little while. Man, got to say, the white boy is a handful and he can climb up shirts extremely well haha.

Oh my gosh, I'm so excited though! I told everyone and they're all excited and about two more weeks and they can go to their forever homes!! I'll be sad to see them go after this whole ordeal but I know the homes they are going to are good homes! At least I'll be able to keep Misha if she sticks around and I'll get to visit the white boy occasionally at my aunt's house

I just can't express how happy I am right now! Thank you all so much for your support through this!!

Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #29 
NeptunesMom

I'll let these smiles express my feelings right now.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:27 PM   #30 
Riverotter

Oh hooray!!!

That is WONDERFUL!

Now, I know that you've got folks waiting and I know that it can be hard to keep them, but as someone who has fostered MANY litters of kittens let me tell you they will grow into MUCH friendlier cats if you can keep them with their mother for at least 9 weeks AND gently handle them every day.
LOL, all my kittens grow up to be purry cat scarves.
If you'd like more tips on raising uber-friendly kittens let me know.

Congrats again!
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote