Betta Fish Forum banner

Tips to improve my betta care?

993 views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  lilnaugrim 
#1 ·
Hi guys! This is my first post on here, so please bear with me.

After falling in love with my college roommate's betta fish, she encouraged me to get one of my own. The issue is that she gave me a lot of information on betta care, which I've now realized was a little misguided. Because she'd had her betta fish for 2 years, I didn't think to research a lot of what she told me (like that bettas can live in super small tanks, no heater, etc.).

Anyways, I was hoping that I could post my betta fish's situation, and then the fine members on here could give me some advice on how to make him happier. I've had him since Sept 2012, and he used to be very happy, blowing bubbles, etc., but he's become a lot more lethargic.

His setup:
1gal tank with a light and small submersible heater
has a plastic (but beta-friendly) plant, and cave for him to hide in
weekly 70% water changes

Please let me know what I should be buying to make his setup better. I've never had a fish before him.

See less See more
#2 ·
I recommend changing the water more often, one 50% and one 100% a week. What temperature is the tank? The heater should be keeping the water 75-85 F. What brand of food are you feeding him? IMO 1 gallon is pretty small, but as long as you maintain the water quality and the tank is heated, your betta should be fine.

#3 ·
Your setup is surprisingly good... But it's far from perfect.

Do you have a thermometer? If so, what is the temperature? If not, I highly suggest buying one.

What do you feed him?

You use water conditioner, right?

Also, you should be doing at least two weekly 100% water changes on a tank that size. Do the water change, then carefully acclimate him back into his tank (would you like instructions?).

#4 ·
Eemmais - Thanks for the advice! I have one of the stick-on thermometers, like this one: link. The tank stays around 75-76, though I've heard those thermometers aren't very good.

MattsBettas - I'd appreciate any help I can get :) I do indeed use water conditioner. I fed him BettaBuffet pellets for most of his life, but he seemed to lose interest, so I recently switched to BettaMin flakes which he seems to enjoy better. I would very much appreciate instructions on acclimating him - I've read some very conflicting advice on websites online.

#5 ·
... I fed him BettaBuffet pellets for most of his life, but he seemed to lose interest, so I recently switched to BettaMin flakes which he seems to enjoy better...
Hey there! So if you want some really good food that he'll never resist get some New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets! They have garlic in them which Betta's absolutely love! Also Omega One Betta pellets are great too. The things you want to watch out for are fillers like wheat, grains and corns, those are bad and can cause a lot of constipation issues.

Also stay away from Freeze-Dried stuff, though they maybe be high in protein, they lack everything else Betta's need. They are like every other animal, a varied diet keeps them happy and healthy ;D You can feed Freeze-dried stuff once a week because it's basically the equivalent to feeding a child chocolate all the time otherwise lol

#9 ·
Yeah, all my petstores stock the same thing as well! I had to order my NLS off the interwebs since it's not carried even in this state. But Omega one is at my Petco/Petsmart so that's good too.

I feed my boys and girls a mix of NLS, Omega One, sometimes NLS Flakes if I'm feeling it and they do get the Freeze-Dried Bloodworms on Saturday as a treat. They only get one or two each though.

Live foods are through too, or frozen even. If you got Frozen bloodworms, that would be a real treat as well ;-D usually after a big, high protein meal it's good to fast them for a day so they don't get bloated/constipated at all.

I fast all my guys/girls every week for two days (it's mostly a forced fast because I'm not homes those days) but it works great. I feed them a big meal on Sunday morning, they fast Monday and Tuesday and get fed again on Wednesday.

Even though I'm sure he's happy in his 1 gallon and if you keep good care of it, it will be good, I encourage you to get at least a 3 gallon tank. If there's a Wal-Mart around you they have a nice 3 gallon Cube tank, it fights nicely on my side table with room to spare ;-D but it comes with a Tetra Whisper 3i filter and the light is pretty decent. But the thing is, the larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain.

When you think about it, one betta poo is going to containment the 1 gallon much faster than it would in the 3 gallon because there is more volume. But of course, that's completely up to you.

I'm also a sucker for live plants which are a great benefit to your tanks so I'll just go ahead and throw those out there :D Not only do they help regulate ammonia/nitrites/nitrate levels they give a great place for your Betta to hide and play in. And you don't generally have to worry about it tearing your Betta's fins!

#10 ·
lilnaugrim - Ultimately I'd love to get a 10gal tank with a partition (one betta on either side) with plants. I've read a bit about planting, and it seems like such a great option. Where do you get the live plants, though?

Also I'm wondering what type of filter is okay. I'm worried I'll buy a bigger tank that includes a filter, and it might have too high a flow for my betta. How could I avoid that?

#11 ·
Filter Baffles! The greatest invention for Betta's since...i don't know lol

Here's a link for a water bottle baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

And one for a sponge baffle!: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100
That one doesn't give a step by step, but it's pretty self explanatory and if you read the comments you can get some good info there too! :D

I actually bought most of my plants from the internet, I'm not certain about sites that ship to Canada since I'm in the US, maybe MattsBettas can help with that?

But I also go to my Local shops to buy plants. I have bought plants from chain stores like Petco/petsmart but I'm pretty sure you guys don't have them up there, right? Either way, I get my live plants from anywhere and everywhere, I'm not exactly picky lol

Also when you do a new tank with lots of plants you don't have to worry about the Nitrogen cycle! Well...it still happens but the thing is that the plants basically act as a buffer between the harmful levels of ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and make it safe for your fish ;-D That's how I start up all my new tanks which is a lot easier than doing a Fishless or a Fish-In cycle and worrying about it for a month or so. With the planted way you're doing what's called a Silent Cycle, it should have been called a Ninja Cycle instead haha.

Oh also back to filters, generally you want a filter that is rated higher than your tank, so if you have a 10 gallon, you should get something that's rated for 20 gallons so it can handle more fish. Not that you'll need more fish, but it's always better because it gives more space for Beneficial Bacteria to grow on. That kind of Bacteria is good and that's the stuff you're trying to grow during a Cycle. They are what keep your fish safe :)

I actually don't really recommend getting a full kit, I mean you can if you really want to, but I ended up customizing my entire thing. Threw out the filter, gave the hood away and picked up a different heater lol So the only thing left from my 10 gallon kit is the actual tank XD So that's just something to consider is all :)

#12 ·
Thank you! I didn't know that such a thing as a baffle existed! I did a quick search, and I found an aquarium specialty shop 20 minutes away from the college I go to! Thanks for the filter and tank tips, lilnaugrim!

Because it'll probably be hard to move in 3 months with a fully planted tank, I think I'm just going to keep Sev in my 1 gal tank with twice weeks water changes for now, and then I'll get a 10 gal and plant and partition it when I move back to school in September. I'll definitely refer back to these tips when I do, though!

#13 ·
Certainly! I love sharing things that I've learned along the way ^^

Actually traveling with a 10 gallon isn't soooo bad lol there are plenty of college kids on here that do travel with their tanks. I've been thankful enough I'm a commuter so all my tanks stay at home :) But just make sure your college will accept you having a 10 gallon when the time comes, I know many keep a restrictions on pets and whatnot :)

#15 ·
Oh sweet, that's awesome you get your own house :D A few of my friends and I were looking into renting a house about 4 minutes from school but I only live 20 minutes and it just seemed silly to do that. But we were all going to have our fish tanks and stuff haha.

And for an avatar click on "User CP" and there's a list of stuff on the left side of the screen, click on "Edit Avatar" and you'll have to upload an image to set it as your avatar.

#17 ·
I sort of have one, my 10 gallon is split into three lol three is enough for a frat, I've already got my sorority so it's all good XD

It's funny you mention that because I'm actually in a co-ed Music Fraternity, we have a sibling sorority who is also co-ed, but I liked the brothers better although now I do love my sisters :D thought I'd share ;-D

#19 ·
Oooh maybe I do! It is a small state! I got to URI so if she goes to RIC, PC, Brown, Salve or CCRI then I probably won't know her lol

Great to meet you as well! If you've ever got questions or whatever feel free to PM me at any time! :-D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.