Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #1 
dr2b

Aquatic plants??

So I went to my LFS today (learned a lot of the truth that Petsmart has lied about). They have these plants in a tube with green tape at the bottom of it. It is aquatic plants with the roots in gel that you rinse off when getting ready to plant in your aquarium. I bought two, but now I am starting to think I need to return them. I got one called Trichomanes Javanicum (aquatic fern). and the other is a 4" white ribbon (that turns out is just like Lucky bamboo - which I had no idea). It's name was Dracaena Sanderiana. I came home did some research and found out that they aren't "true aquatic plants"... has anyone bought these before? I read that the fern will die within a few weeks and decompose in the water. But it's kind of half and half on what I have seen. And the white ribbon plant I have seen people say will do ok in the water, but it isn't a true aquatic plant either.

I am really considering taking these back when I go to there tomorrow for my otos.... but I'd love to hear thoughts and opinions first.

I am trying to get a picture up for you guys, but I am using this public wifi at the hospital ... and quite frankly it sucks!! So when I get the pic uploaded I'll put it on ...
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #2 
dr2b

Old 07-10-2009, 02:37 PM   #3 
Angelmonster

The White ribbon, or Lucky Bamboo, will grow NOT fully submerged in the water! If you ar elooking for a fully submerged plant return both of them(they are as bad as petsmart).

The Lucky Bamboo will last a few weeks but they are not meant to draw co2 from water and will die if fully submerged in the water. They do make excellent hous eplants though! Stick them in a small vase, throw ONLY gravel in top of their roots and fill it up with your tank water(when you do cleanings!). They can live with jus tlight from a lamp shade and their stems(that grow from the main "trunk") can get as high as four feet if you water it with non-salt water tank water! I have thse all over my desk at work and in my house

these "plants in gel", youc an always tell if they are aquatis or not. If they are truly aquatic thewhole thing will be in gel, not just the roots. If they are sustaining themselves in gel then these plants can grow in water but their leaves must be out of it to have access to co2.
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #4 
dr2b

That is what I was thinking. I feel "had" ugh. I am going to return them and go find some true live aquatic plants to keep in there.

They were such beautiful looking plants to. Like their leaves looked so healthy and all. Oh well, I will just find something I like better.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:51 PM   #5 
Scienceluvr8

Yeah, the same thing happened to me....dumb people at petco. Anyways, yeah I purchased the Dracaena Sanderiana as well, but to my surprise it is doing really good. Since I bought it about a month ago, it has some new shoots and its really green, it is only in a 1.5 gallon tank, but I have been supplementing it with FloraPride drops from Tetra. Yeah, I read that it is semiaquatic, but mine for some odd reason, is doing well, lol.
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #6 
dr2b

Well I went back and the girl said "you looked like you really like them, so we didn't have the heart to tell you. you ready to go see some real aquatic plants?" So I ended up getting two different ones, one was the amazon sword plant and the other was wendith or something .... and again learned a ton of info I didn't know before. She told me they never sold them before but the manager wanted to bring them in. But they always tell people to not buy them so they will get rid of them. I should have known when I saw all of them there still. I just had this gut feeling not to buy them and I didn't follow it. Next time I will, but they were all so nice and showed me what I could choose from.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 PM   #7 
Scienceluvr8

Oh, well that was still kind of dumb. I mean if they know something that you don't, obviously they should tell you, that's what there job is for. Anyways, at least you got some nice plants now. I got an amazon sword as well yesterday, and I love it.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:46 PM   #8 
dr2b

They were so happy I returned it lol. I guess it proves to their manager they don't want it there.
I got my dwarf hairgrass at Petsmart and these two new ones at the fish store...it is a total night and day difference in roots, plant quality, color, etc
Old 07-11-2009, 01:12 AM   #9 
Scienceluvr8

Wow, your plants seem nice. You should post some pictures, I would like to see how your tank came out.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:08 AM   #10 
sweetviolets

The white ribbon is a plant that I have here in my home. Not in my fishtank. It's familiar name is "mother-in-law tongue." This plant thrives in dry conditions. I only water mine every 3-4 weeks. Definitely not a plant for a fish tank.
sweetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote