Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Question Pronunciation

Okay first of all, I've got a few things I'd like to point out:

1. I know there are already threads similar to this...
2. I used to pronounce Betta wrong for the longest time.
3. I know members here still do, even though they know they're pronouncing wrong, because it sounds weird.

Anyways, after joining this site I decided to start forcing myself to pronounce "betta" as "bet-uh" rather than "bay-tuh" or "bay-duh". It was weird at first but now I'm completely used to it and get strange looks when I pronounce Betta the proper way (if it were supposed to be pronounced "Bay-tuh", it would be spelled "beta").

I don't know. I know a lot of people don't care or just don't know how to pronounce it or think it sounds weird to pronounce it correctly, but it just kind of bothers me because I'm a huge proper English/grammar freak.

But what really brought me to make this thread is that I was watching videos on YouTube of users making videos on "How to Set Up a Betta Tank" in little unheated half gallon bowls, and thinking that these people look/sound ridiculous when they're talking like they know everything and they aren't even pronouncing Betta correctly.

Maybe it's just me? Lol.

P.S. I wish I could be "God of the Internet" for a day, so I could go through and delete every single video and website that have those misconceptions about betta care on them.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol yeah, I agree. Although I know how to properly pronounce it and do so on occasion, the problem comes in when people start to think I'm trying to say "Better" and I know that had been on the subject before. I can't help the accents we've got up here in NE (although I really don't feel like it's much of an "accent", my you others towards the south and west think it's different?)

We also don't have enough of a Betta community here so they would legit have no idea what I'm saying, although I do try to inform people as much as I can. I know it can be aggravating but you also have to remember that Betta is actually a Thai word, it's not from the English language as far as I know (perhaps I am wrong though?) and there for like when anyone tries to speak a different language, they are going to mess it up.

I know it's still frustrating still, but because of my area I don't think it would really allow me to even start thinking about pronouncing Betta properly. And then I go in this vicious circle because as I completely understand you and the desire for things to be pronounced correctly, and then on the flip side, people would literally not be able to understand me. haha, it is a difficult subject.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I can't help the accents we've got up here in NE
Hmmmmmmmmm... My history teacher told me the midwest has pretty much the most "correct" accent, if there is such a thing. I guess I wasn't really thinking about accents, though.

I usually say Betta FISH so they know what I'm talking about, and then they argue with me that I'm pronouncing it wrong. I guess what they say is true: arguing with an idiot proves there are two?

The only thing is usually people just shut up and listen to me when I tell them they're pronouncing it wrong because I am the "crazy fish lady" and everyone else really doesn't care about how to pronounce it, anyways. It's just those darn YouTubers who act like they know everything about Betta fish care and they can't even pronounce Betta.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #4 
Skyewillow

I'm to the point that I don't care how it's pronounced, as long as they take care of it properly.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Hmmmmmmmmm... My history teacher told me the midwest has pretty much the most "correct" accent, if there is such a thing. I guess I wasn't really thinking about accents, though.

I usually say Betta FISH so they know what I'm talking about, and then they argue with me that I'm pronouncing it wrong. I guess what they say is true: arguing with an idiot proves there are two?

The only thing is usually people just shut up and listen to me when I tell them they're pronouncing it wrong because I am the "crazy fish lady" and everyone else really doesn't care about how to pronounce it, anyways. It's just those darn YouTubers who act like they know everything about Betta fish care and they can't even pronounce Betta.
Might that be because you live in the midwest? lol If you do want to get technical with accents though, English obviously was brought over with the Brits...big surprise lol, but since the NE was colonized first we have the closest accents to British but I don't think any one accent is "correct" than another.

Is it possible to comment on those youtuber's videos and perhaps give them some tips about keeping Betta fish? I know it doesn't exactly help the speech issue but of course getting them a little more involved that they might then find this thread or the other one on how to pronounce Betta correctly? And now I'm just babbling lol.

I do agree with Skyewillow
Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I third Skyewillow :)

Most of those videos have the comments disabled, lol. I guess they already got a ton of angry comments about their improper care.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Ugg yeah, that is annoying. "Oh look you made a video, that does not mean you know everything about Betta's!" I almost wish we could report it for being "not exactly" proper care of an animal but I don't think Youtube would really care that much....
Old 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Americans seem to say 'bay-tuh' more often. I have never heard anyone call them anything but 'be-tuhs' here (unless someone is calling them Siamese fighters).

You know what I find difficult to learn how to properly pronounce? The species names for wild bettas. I just guess with mine, and I am waiting until I run into someone who knows how to pronounce them perfectly so I can learn haha. I am probably mispronouncing them something terrible.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Americans seem to say 'bay-tuh' more often. I have never heard anyone call them anything but 'be-tuhs' here (unless someone is calling them Siamese fighters).
yea, it's one or the other here too.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #10 
Lights106

Out loud I say Bay-duh but in my head I say bay-tuh.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote