Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #11 
FrightyDog

bump
FrightyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:16 PM   #12 
bahamut285

Why is this being bumped? I feel the question has already been answered. To reiterate:

5 gallon: You should only have your betta. You can TRY to add shrimp but they may end up becoming snacks. You shouldn't be adding any fish.

10 gallon: You can add ONE shoal/schooling species. A lot of people have a few pygmy cories because they tend to hang out at the bottom while your betta hangs out at the top.

Keep in mind that before starting a 10+ gallon community, you should make sure you have adequate space to separately house everything in case it doesn't go well
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #13 
jlllm

I have one betta and 2 frogs in my 10gallon one. The space gets a lot smaller with plants and driftwood added. Working on getting plants to grow..
jlllm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:39 AM   #14 
peachii

I have one betta who will not tolerate anything else in the tank with it but all the other bettas enjoy having someone in the tank with them.

I have ghost shrimp and red cherry shrimp.

I've also been doing research on snails. Mystery snails, rabbit snails and apple snails - if you have 1 they will stay 1 and keep your tank relatively clean.

Otos are tiny but have a bioload as they poop nonstop but are wonderful at cleaning the tank, especially if you have live plants, probably need a 10 gallon for them at least.

If you research there are plecos that only get to be 2 to 4 inches but you have to be careful to only get one that stays small.

We got a reticulated hillstream loach and it stays pretty small and has very low bioload - plus it looks like a stingray which is awesome - we love him. He doesn't need a group and is fine alone. The bettas ignored him completely.

There are also a very few types of fish that stay under an inch long - research and find those that stay tiny - the bettas ignore them completely because they are to small to be a threat.

I understand completely about wanting more than 1 fish in a tank, it makes it more enjoyable to look at.

As a side note if you have the extra money (friendly suggestion in no way saying you have to get a bigger tank) Wal_Mart has a 10 gallon tank kit for 27.00. They have a filter, hood and the tank. You can choose LED hood or florescent light - get the flourescent if you plant to have live plants. Very cheap way to upgrade to a larger tank for more options on fish.

Live plants also help with having fish in the tank, they help to naturally produce a cycle and eat some of the waste from the fish. All my tanks have live plants and I absolutely am in love with the way they look and the way the bettas snuggle into them and make them home.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #15 
FrightyDog

Money Is No Issue. I Don't Have Space For 10
Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #16 
FrightyDog

Off topic

Sorry for reviving this topic but I am planning to get a 5 gallon and divide it in half so I could have 2 bettas in there. (upgrade my alpha into there and get another one). Is that a good idea? And can I put them in sand substrate?
Old 06-11-2013, 03:17 AM   #17 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Just make sure the divider is really, really secure: Bettas can't go over, around or under it. Sand substrate is fine. There are several threads on making your own divider.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #18 
Sylerwin

I'd get a 10. I know at Petsmart where I am, a 10 gallon tank is the same price as a 5 or a 2.5 gal. Weird, huh?

Anyway, I have a docile betta, and he's with 3 African Dwarf frogs and 2 cory catfish right now, with lots of plants to hide in.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #19 
hopeful fish

If I were you, I would really get the ten. they don't have much bigger of a footprint than a five, and they are easier to maintain
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 AM   #20 
wish4coner

I just wanted to add in about the caves up there. The little holes reminded me of an accident I had with one of my female bettas. Small holes, they get stuck in. I had this castle that, I didn't know had an opening going up into the top, which had a hole, the size of the tip of a finger at top. She tried to get out, got stuck and died. So, when I saw the cave thing--if you have that in with bettas, just be careful. Bettas will try to get through any size hole and not be able to at times.
Just wanted to share so no one has the accident I did. :(
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote