Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #21 
Darth

That does get to me, not sure why, perhaps because it was drilled into me by my mentor..the other thing that irks me a little is all the names peope give these fish..I guess because they don't come to it?
Or maybe its because when trying to follow a post somebody will throw a name out there and you think they are talking about a person, or they act like you know fish one or 2 is so an so.
I have hundreds of bettas and maybe a couple get names...by my girlfriend haha but for the most part they are happy to be BMW#2 Blue Mahachai #2 of 1.
Or Yellow Butterfly Male YBM4.

Last edited by Darth; 05-25-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #22 
AyalaCookiejar

LOL, even my snail and shrimp have names! I guess I can't complain too much!

I understand that with so many fish, there's no way you could keep all the names straight, either. I know they don't come to their name like a dog would but I'm a little name obsessed and I don't like kids, lol, so all my "awesome" name ideas are dedicated to my pets! Though most of the time, they don't get human names (obviously, if you look at my signature... Many are named after cars, lol). My dogs name is Cappuccino :p

But I can see why you'd maybe think someone was referring to a person rather than a pet fish... I agree that sometimes we talk about them as if they are human. I know they aren't but there's a special bond :) I value the lives of every one of my pets and have deemed them worthy of their own unique names and much love and attention and all that junk (my "brodog" is like my best friend, and my bro, therefore brodog.. Thats what my friends call him. He chills with us often.)

^ when I said I'm weird, I was serious. But I know I'm not alone. <3 I love this forum!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:03 AM   #23 
Skyewillow

BMW#2 and YBM4 are just as much names as some of the random names people come up with.

Breeders don't always name their livestock for 2 reasons: A) Because they're livestock and are meant to be sold (and naming them makes you attached), and B) because they usually have more than your average hobbyist.

I have 14 bettas, they all have names, they're pets, and members of the family. You wouldn't NOT give some sort of designation to a member of the family!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #24 
Darth

Yes, But understand I love my fish just as much as anyone else I just have MANY of them and to keep track they get designated.
I also sell them.
I have a fish I named he was from the pair Catwoman sent me, the only survivor his name is....One.

Last edited by Darth; 05-25-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:32 AM   #25 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't think you DON'T love your fish (how could you not, lol?) but yeah. I have a huge list of compiled possible names for future fish but I definitely don't have hundreds. Plus, hard to say goodbye to the ones you already have names for :( I don't know how MoonShadow does it! Lol.

I only have 7 bettas - all have names, but there's a big difference between 7 and hundreds. I even get my girls' names confused periodically. Three of them are very similar looking, lol. Like I said, I even named my RCS Figaro, but if I had an entire colony of them, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart let alone name them all. Same with ramshorns. (Okay, not exactly comparable to the fish you spend years breeding but hey, people do still love their shrimps and snails, too!) the fact that there are so many and that they are so similar looking (identical lol) would make them extremely hard to name.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:33 AM   #26 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth View Post
Yes, But understand I love my fish just as much as anyone else I just have MANY of them and to keep track they get designated.
I also sell them.
I have a fish I named he was from the pair Catwoman sent me, the only survivor his name is....One.
both points were covered in my comment. ^_^

I grew up on a farm, I know how much of a pain it can be to come up with names for numerous animals, especially when you're not planning on keeping them.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #27 
AyalaCookiejar

My point was that no one is going to think you're a horrible fish owner who doesn't love your fish if you don't name each your fish, when you've got so many. My aunt has stray cats all over her farm and she does name them but I don't think she hates cats just because she usually doesn't remember what she named them, haha. She welcomes and feeds any and all cats that come and go, and as long as they are being cared for, they are obviously valued.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:51 AM   #28 
Bombalurina

It frustrates me beyond belief when people mis-pronouce things. Granted, I'm an English major and I practically cry when I see grammatical errors or things written wrongly, but I still don't understand how people can think something with two ts in between the vowels can possible result in anything other than an "eh" sound.

This video is not intended to be offensive to anyone, but it sums up many of my pet language peeves: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw.
Also, I love David Mitchell.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

I understand. Beta and betta are different. But some people don't even know how to spell it.

You sound like my English teacher from high school :)
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 AM   #30 
Deanna01

Huh. I'm glad I read this thread, because I'd been pronouncing it wrong.

That made me go look up "plakat," which I'd also been pronouncing wrong. It should be "pluh-KOT."
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote