Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2013, 12:07 AM   #1 
Jexx

new planted tank, fert question

I just set up my first ever fully planted tank. 20 gallons and a crap load of plants I can't even remember right now, its late and I am tired. The tank is full of plants though. So my question is, is it safe to dose seachem flourish comprehensive immediately? or should I give the plants some time to settle. Thanks!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #2 
Donetta

Yes it's ok to dose immediately. When I set up my planted tank I read that plants come with their on "lunch box" and it was suggested to wait. However within a day or so plants started to die in Particular from iron deficiency. Once I dosed everything was ok. So my decision now is to dose up front.
Donetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:03 AM   #3 
jentralala
Reference Team

However, most people don't dose the same day they do a water change. People worry that the water conditioner used can bind up the nutrients in the fertilizer, making them unavailable to plants. So a lot of people dose the day after a water change, myself included.
jentralala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #4 
Donetta

Jentralala, what I've been doing lately is setting up the water ahead of time with dechlorinator and letting it sit for a couple days. This will be ok to add to ferts on the same day right?
Donetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 
Gallium

I don't use ferts, but everyone I know personally does a half or 1/3 dose on the first day since the plants don't require a full dose just yet.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 
Briz

Also, be sure to dose the recommended amount on the bottle, and not more! Too much nutrients in the water can easily cause algae to explode.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote