Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 04:41 AM   #1 
Bettalove22

Post New with food amount questions

The name is mitch and i am 22 years old living in blaine washington lol,

now i had bettas when i was younger and like most he was stuck in a little bowl and that was it. knowing what i know now makes me sad for the ones i had knowing that they had a lame life and didnt have the right conditions.

I was in a more fish centered pet store and saw the bettas and instantly was hooked back into wanting one. though this time i did my research before hand so my new little guy, which still doesnt have a name im sad to say, has a nice 10 gallon tank with heater whisper filter and will have plants and more places to hide in the near future.

So i guess now to what brings up my question lol, i have read that betta dont really care for flake food even betta specific flakes and can be picky eaters that dont like the same thing over and over and over and need variety. I have alss read that a new life specturm pellet for betta are great but didnt see them in the store when i picked up my stuff. But i have freeze dried bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp to give him two different things for now.

So how much do you feed him at a time? i was planning on 1 time a day maybe two depending on if it needs to be done that way or however much he needs. but have no clue as to how many little worms to give him or of the shrimp or anything, forgot to ask the people before i left the store and havent yet read a thing on the amounts to give them yet though could be cause i have only been on here for a matter of hours and just havent found it yet lol.

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated and any tips and advice on anything betta care and owner related is very helpful as well.

Thanks to you all, and glad to be betta owner again.
Bettalove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #2 
Polkadot

Your set up sounds great.Everyone seems to have their own amounts etc for their bettas so I can only offer advice regarding what I do for my 3 little boys.I feed them NLS pellets,which I VERY highly recommend.I feed my little ones twice a day,3 pellets each in the morning & 4 each at night.I also give them one freeze dried bloodworm each,twice a week as a treat.On the days I give the bloodworm I drop the pellets to 3 that evening.Some people also fast their bettas once a week,but I don't do that,I just stick to their routine & they are very happy.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #3 
Bettalove22

Polkadot

Thanks for the tips, any advice helps being that i am still really a newb at ownership and care so its all welcome.

I do like him a lot already lol, got a nice purple look to him which i hadnt seen much of so had to get him.

But i am going to get the NLS pellets but just didnt have them when i was there yesterday. how much do they run generally? i can look that up myself, it was just a thought i had now.

I think i will feed him the brine shrimp mostly for now twice a day once, morning, and give him a worm a couple days a week like you brought up. i have read that making them a main part of the daily diet can be bad and give them constipation issues. might do a fast day cause i read that as well but havent made my mind up on that one or not, i wouldnt want to be forced to not eat for a day lol.

Ill have to check around more stores tomorrow for the pellets cause they are what i want for the main diet as well as the shrimp for meats, with the worms as you do a treat type item.

Anyway the input was helpful and it is always a good thing to bounce ideas around with people to gather further input. i hope to get a pic of him and get it up here soon and figure out a name for him, feel bad him being home for hours now and still nameless :( lol.

Thanks again Polkadot, the advice was appreciated.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #4 
Polkadot

You are very welcome.Yes I had to order in the NLS pellets here too,I can't remember how much they were exactly but I think it was around $13,really worth it though,my little boys jump up for it & LOVE it.Yes the freeze dried bloodworms are best as a treat once or twice a week only.You will get & find lots of great advice on this site,it is fantastic.I'm sure you will find a good name for your betta,naming them is always fun.They are such lovely little pets.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #5 
Bettalove22

Polkadot

Do you know if they have .5mm pellets that dont sink?

Ive been looking and all i see in that size on some sites is sinking ones and being my rocks are black with a few random colored rocks in it, like bright greens blues and stuff, and if they sink and he didnt see them i dont know if he would find or get them. im still looking but its looking like ima have to get sinking pellets lol.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #6 
Polkadot

The one I have is called New Life Spectrum Betta Formula which is 1mm & they float really well.I think there is a NLS small fish formula,but I don't know the size of the pellets.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 AM   #7 
Bettalove22

Polkadot

My guy looks to be maybe an inch long, he was a smaller one at the store but his color made me choose him. that and him being smaller could be he is younger still i thought and so could have him longer hopefully.

But that what im looking at says it is, New Life Spectrum Small Fish Formula .5mm Sinking Pellets and in that size i cant find ones yet that dont sink.

You think a smaller one could eat 1mm pellets? i havent seem them to see if they look to big for his mouth but im thinking they probly are. could try to just break them into smaller pieces i guess if nothing else lol.

Thanks again for the tips :)
Old 05-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

My Bettas get the NLS & Omega One pellets as well as frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, & daphnia. One of my males actually doesn't like the NLS but gobbles up the Omega One. The 1mm NLS are small enough your guy should be able to eat them. I've new Bettas who were tiny & ate them usually with no problem. Some will suck it in, spit it out, suck it back in & eventually eat the whole pellet. Flakes can be fed if they're quality. I do on occasion feed Omega One flakes. Sounds like your guy will be well cared for, YAY!
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #9 
Polkadot

My little boys were about that size when I got them & they ate the pellets no problem,they are really little.Like shellieca said also,if it worries you while they are that little,a good flake food is another option as you can break them up into weenie pieces.

P.S. shellieca that little dog in your avatar is soooooooooo cute!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #10 
Bettalove22

Shellieca
Thank you as well for the advice i was just looking into the other options for betta pellets just to potentially have better chances of finding one in a store. but its sounds like the 1mm should be fine.
And thanks i hope to provide him with a good and happy home. i hope to in the future see a bubble nest from him :), excited to see if he'll do it.

Polkadot
Like shellieca just said ill have to look into a good quality flake food and that will be a pretty good variety of foods for him and a treat food right out of the gate lol. just need to get some plants and it should be pretty well set. that and his name still haha

Tags
basics, bloodworms, brine shriimp, feed amount, food