Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #11 
BetterBetta22

I encourage you to start your community tank bettas look lovely mixed with other fish. I do remember reading on here several years ago that a certain breeder was having luck breeding her most docile males and through MANY generations was able to produce males that coexisted peacefully with each other... If I remember it was ten plus years of breeding her most docile males
BetterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #12 
Riverotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlythundering View Post
I don't remember exactly the names, but they were with everything but other bettas and goldfish. I know that they can be with other fish, and that wasn't so much my problem; I've read many stories about successful community tanks here, and someday I hope to start my own.
My gripe was that they were with these other fish, in a space that was too small for the original inhabitants and certainly too small to successfully integrate a betta. Thus, there was aggression with fish that normally a betta might be friendly with, because there was simply too many fish in one tank. Plus, each betta has its own temperament, which I'm sure one must consider when planning a community of fish; however, these were carelessly tossed into the mix, with no thought as to whether the individual animal would be suited for community life. I hope that I can get this across to the manager that, as you said, they can be gentle and neighborly, but like anything else, it must be under the right conditions.
While I totally understand your point, I have mixed feelings.
At least there weren't in those tiny, unheated cups, being picked up and shaken by passing kids and stuff like that.

I think I'd rather see them in the tanks, so long as it's one betta per tank. They're generally not there for too long, and while it's stressful, it's far less life-threatening then the cups.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #13 
quietlythundering

At BetterBettas22-I'm waiting till I find a job, and can move into my own apartment. I can already see it, a 10-20 gallon, tons of shrimp, a snail, and a party of 4 girls
And right next to an enormous bookshelf, which will be the focus of the living room!

At Riverotter- I've thought about that too. I don't know if this is something I can find an ideal solution to, since either way, the fish of walmart still lose. However, I feel that they will be better off in the cups if only for the reason that I've stated above (the safety of the other fish, in addition to the bettas well) but also because the tank situation is equally as stressful. The poor bettas I saw in the tanks were darting around, in a state such as I can only describe as shell shock. I hope that doesn't sound too extreme, but it was like they always in a constant state of motion. I'm not saying that movement in a fish is bad, but my bettas have never acted like that, not even at Food Time. That can't be a good thing....I know that these institutions won't be making any big changes soon. If they ever find it in them to give each betta the proper care they needed, such as a roomy tank of their own, a heater, and list a rule that all employees handling them must know what they're doing, and must keep to a strict cleaning regimen, it won't be in my lifetime, because such things are not ingrained widely enough in our society. That doesn't mean we don't try, but we shouldn't belittle what victories we gain. I know that what I'm pushing for isn't an ideal solution, but I feel that it's better than what has been presented to me.

Last edited by quietlythundering; 05-22-2013 at 12:41 AM.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #14 
BetterBetta22

Only 4 girls... Oh geez just you wait hehe remember petsmart a females are only 99 cents a piece!
BetterBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:21 AM   #15 
Riverotter

I applaud you for doing what you feel is right. And you're correct, Walmart is no place for any fish.

~ Someone after my own heart, a tank of female bettas and a huge bookcase - what could be a better way to decorate a living room??
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #16 
quietlythundering

Update: I have been unable to go in person to survey the situation, but I do plan on calling in to the manager and sending a formal letter of complaint this evening, because in my gut, I just know that the situation hasn't changed.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote