Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #1001 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkallen View Post
Hello all! I got a baby betta from Petco several days ago. I had never heard of baby bettas before - I was looking at the adults when a staff member excitedly told me that they just got a baby double tail in that day. I had never seen any betta besides a veil tail before. Anyways, I'm attaching a picture just because I think it's cute. My main question has to do with feeding. I have Hikari micro pellets, but he has been absolutely refusing to eat. All he will eat is freeze dried bloodworms even though I know that is not ideal. I would experiment with live/frozen foods, however I'm going out of town for a wedding for a whole week and my sister needs really easy instructions to follow for taking care of my fish.

The betta is in a 5 gallon dirt tank (no fertilizers, lights on 10 hours a day). This tank was home to my guppies before they massively over-populated it and had to be moved. I do 25-50% 1-2 times a week. The tank temperature is set at 80 degrees. The betta is currently in a floating breeder trap so I can monitor his food intake and because he's not quite strong enough to swim against the filter. Anyways, if anyone has food suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate it! I was told that the Hikari micropellets are what he ate in the store. Also if anyone is able to tell me more specifically his tail type from the picture or whether he is a "she," I'd appreciate that as well. Thanks!
Cute baby! and yes it is a Double tail, that's all. You won't know color until it grows up. I might be mistaken, I think I see the triangular ovaries behind it's stomach, also the anal fin looks very square and what I can see of the ventrals, they seem short. So I'm voting female :) As far as feeding, it's a good idea to smash up the pellets if you can to make it smaller so the baby can actually eat them. I feed mine 3-5 times a day since they are growing after all :D
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #1002 
ashkallen

Thank you! I think I've just found myself a particularly stubborn betta. The micro pellets are plenty small to fit in his mouth. He just spits them out again after 5 seconds. Every single time.
ashkallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #1003 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkallen View Post
Thank you! I think I've just found myself a particularly stubborn betta. The micro pellets are plenty small to fit in his mouth. He just spits them out again after 5 seconds. Every single time.
Lol one of my older boys did this till I switched his food ^^ Good luck with your baby! Looks like she's going to become a handful ahah
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1004 
carbonxxkidd

Baby's tail looks different today. It was a bit frayed when I got it on Thurs, but now it almost looks like the ends are about to fall off. I added a bit of extra stress coat to the water and the baby is still eating well, hoping if it is fin rot the clean water and stress coat will do the trick...any suggestions? S/he has definitely grown since s/he came home, and the black markings are getting more prominent...hoping this is just its way of healing itself...

carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #1005 
justmel

My baby DT, right now we're calling him Duo. I hope it's a girl, but will be happy either way and name him when he gets big enough to know for sure if it's a male or female. Just picked this poor half starved baby up yesterday. Pigged out on some walter & micro worms as soon as I got it home. Wouldn't even look at the pellets. He's smaller than my 2 1/2 month old fry!

Have to say I was impressed with the Petco employee that checked me out though. First he asked to make sure I had water conditioner, a heater, and at least a 1 gallon bowl. When I told him I had 16 babies at home that I had spawned and raised myself he said it certainly sounded like I knew what I was doing and asked if he could ask me a couple questions. He started with asking how (or what) I feed the babies, how they are kept, extra. Here's a petco employee who at least does care about the bettas!
Attached Images

justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #1006 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonxxkidd View Post
Baby's tail looks different today. It was a bit frayed when I got it on Thurs, but now it almost looks like the ends are about to fall off. I added a bit of extra stress coat to the water and the baby is still eating well, hoping if it is fin rot the clean water and stress coat will do the trick...any suggestions? S/he has definitely grown since s/he came home, and the black markings are getting more prominent...hoping this is just its way of healing itself...

could be double tail x crown tail boy
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #1007 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
My baby DT, right now we're calling him Duo. I hope it's a girl, but will be happy either way and name him when he gets big enough to know for sure if it's a male or female. Just picked this poor half starved baby up yesterday. Pigged out on some walter & micro worms as soon as I got it home. Wouldn't even look at the pellets. He's smaller than my 2 1/2 month old fry!

Have to say I was impressed with the Petco employee that checked me out though. First he asked to make sure I had water conditioner, a heater, and at least a 1 gallon bowl. When I told him I had 16 babies at home that I had spawned and raised myself he said it certainly sounded like I knew what I was doing and asked if he could ask me a couple questions. He started with asking how (or what) I feed the babies, how they are kept, extra. Here's a petco employee who at least does care about the bettas!
very cute, LIKE
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #1008 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
could be double tail x crown tail boy
No, most bettas have extended rays. Even VTs will. I had a CT baby betta and they look a LOT different. The rays tend to extend and then (after having him for a month) the rays branched out into a split.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #1009 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post

How cute, and what a great name! The Petco people at my store never ask me anything. In fact they annoyed me last time because I called to see if they had any new 10 gallon tanks in, which they said they did. So I went there and there was still the old one I saw a few days before that had scratches on the black frame on the bottom -_-
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #1010 
carbonxxkidd

Well, ends of baby betta's tail got really fuzzy and fell off...here's a pic of him/her in a salt bath today:
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby betta, good luck guys:), petco, petco babies, petco baby betta