Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 
sainthogan

*sigh* Fizz has swim bladder issues again

Poor guy just can't catch a break. He came to me with a swim bladder issue where he would just float to the top. After several weeks, that finally cleared up. He struggles with constipation quite frequently. Now he's got another swim bladder issue where he just sinks to the bottom. It takes quite a bit of effort to dart to the top for air, so mostly, he sits on top of the things close to the surface. I guess I'll be getting the espsom salts back out again. At this point, with his chronic constipation, I'm beginning to think I should just keep epsom salts in his tank indefinitely. Poor thing, at least he seems to be in good spirits and gets really excited when he sees me, even if he has to struggle to get food. (P.S. - yes I did fast him, and I do fast him quite often because of his constipation issues).
At least his tank neighbor is doing well and hasn't had any issues since she jumped out in September.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #2 
sushiisaboss75

Exclamation

ahhh poor thing. my fish struggles from constipation to but, one thing you have to remember is TO NEVER EVER EVER KEEP EPSOM SALTS IN THE TANK!!!! It makes them very stressed. what i do, is when i channge his water 100%, i put some epsom salts in there for about 15-20 minutes. then i clean his tank, and within 20 min, they poop! so try that, and you should be good. what size tank do you have?
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I have a 5 gallon tank, and I am following the directions of a very respected member on this forum. She told me that epsom salts can be kept in the tank in very small quantities. And that aquarium salts (which I am not using) can be used for a maximum of 14 days.. I can't ever do a 100% water change in my tank because I have live plants.
Oh, and by the way, he's not currently constipated (evidenced by the poo hanging from him yesterday, and a new one today), he just can't stay afloat.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #4 
sushiisaboss75

ok. i just read that it could stress them out. lol btw i wasnt yellin at u or anything, just felt like writing in big letters.
like that big smily. ;)
sushiisaboss75 is offline   Reply With Quote