Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1 
quietlythundering

Smile Betta Encounters with Cats/Dogs/Birds/Other Pets!

I've come to realize that this forum isn't so much made up of fish-lovers than people who just love animals in general. I was wondering, for those members who have cats, dogs, birds, and pets other than fish-how do these other pets interact with your betta/bettas?
I'd like to be able to describe what my cat does, but she lives away from me, and the only encounter she's had with any of my fish was when I first adopted Ray Charles, and she looked at him distastefully and ignored him- totally the opposite of what I was convinced she would do! What did your pets do?
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The only non fish pet I have is a leopard gecko, and she has never seen a betta. If she did she would probably try to eat it lol.

Great story, hey? XD
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #3 
quietlythundering

eat them? XD
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well when Ditto was in the 2.5 for a while my cat Siberian would try to eat him through the acrylic and Ditto would tease right back! When Siberian turned his head for a moment Ditto would stay still and watch him! And when Siberian looked back Ditto started to surf his tank again, teasing my cat haha.

My other cat MC just wants to drink out of my fish tanks, he doesn't actually care about the fish though. And Ieli would much rather be snaking on the fish although she doesn't have any good stories to tell.

Thankfully none of my cats have gotten to the fish yet but we'll see what happens in the future lol
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #5 
registereduser

it took about a year but I think my cat's fascination with the betta tanks has worn off.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #6 
Corsica

My fish are roped off in my kitchen. My youngest Ibizan would think it a fabulous game to counter surf and knock the fish down.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:42 PM   #7 
nel3

my crested gecko is very interested in my mustard gas?? ct. he did try to get at him once from inside the terrarium. he's still does keep an eye on him but knows he wont get anywhere.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

None of my cats or dogs have much interest in my fish tanks. Although once one of our dogs was sitting watching the goldfish swim around.

Our oldest cat used to drink out of the tanks when I left them uncovered. One time my PK male swam over to see what was going on, the cat saw him and leapt about six foot in the air before tearing off at mach speed to the front door.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #9 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
None of my cats or dogs have much interest in my fish tanks. Although once one of our dogs was sitting watching the goldfish swim around.

Our oldest cat used to drink out of the tanks when I left them uncovered. One time my PK male swam over to see what was going on, the cat saw him and leapt about six foot in the air before tearing off at mach speed to the front door.
lol i could just imagine the news headline, "fish scares away predatory cat from his home"

thats actually very interesting to see such a reaction.

my best guess as to why a gecko would want to catch a fish would be the movement and possible colour of the fish. though i do beleive movement would be more important.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah. The cats did have to be careful around that fish though. He was quite bold and would try and attack their tongues while they were drinking.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote