Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #1 
kweenbee11

Talking ??

i have a betta in a 1 gallon tank with a filter..i was wondering if it would be a good idea to put 2 really tiny tank mates like the 2 swords or something?? i just feel like my fishy is so lonely!
kweenbee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

A one gallon is barely big enough for 1 betta. If you upgrade to a 5 gallon, you can have a couple of tankmates. I wouldn't reccommend it for a one gallon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #3 
kweenbee11

oh my gosh a one gallon isint big enough for my betta?!?
he seems fine though if i leave him there will he die??
kweenbee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

A one gallon is fine for one betta. I have 3 of mine in one gallon containers. He'll be fine, I just wouldn't add anything else. The water in a gallon container needs to be changed once or twice a week.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:24 AM   #5 
AngelicScars

1 gallon is small. Don't put anything in there with him. I do agree with drama, change his water often since it's a small tank.

I would recommend upgrading to a 5-10 or larger gallon tank if you want tankmates.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 AM   #6 
Luchi

DON'T put anything in there. Your fish probably already has claimed the territory, and if he's anything like my fish, he'll attack anything you put in there until he kills it.
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

I agree with drama...The 1 gallon is fine for the guy but dont add anything in with him! But dont worry I also have three in 1 gallons (which they love)....So it is not to small...But if you would like to add tankmates you should first upgrade to a 5+ gallon! :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #8 
sweetviolets

It seems to me there is no rule on how big the tank needs to be for the betta. The stores tell you to get tiny tanks or fish bowls.

There is a huge amount of information here. Everyone seems to agree that the tiny betta towers are not enough for the fish. The people in this site are experts, in my opinion. I thought I read 3-10 gallons, depending on the person. Some still use the 1 gallons for one fish. I have a 2 gallon for one fish. I can tell you this....when my fish was moved from his betta tower to his 2-gallon tank he was so happy. It's like I have a new fish here.

I suggest to read this message board and follow the advice of the senior members or higher (if there is one) You will be glad that you did.
sweetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have 2 bettas in 1 gallon containers but really 2.5 gallons and larger are best. The petstores will tell you all kinds of stuff that isn't true like only change the water when it gets cloudy, water changes will stress out your betta, only feed them once a week, etc. If you are going with small tanks/bowls, frequent water changes are NEEDED to keep fish healthy. Water quality is very important.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #10 
veganchick

I do have 2 male guppies in with m female betta in a 3 gallon, but for male bettas, or aggressive bettas 5 or more gallons of water should be used for tankmates.....
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote