Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2009, 03:50 PM   #1 
LeahK

My betta has a pet platy....

Let me first say, I do NOT like livebearers because I can't handle all the cute little babies who just end up getting eaten by mom. So, one day when I saw two platy babies being chased down by the adults in my husband's tank, I couldn't stop myself from scooping them out, even though my better judgment told me to just ignore them
I had nowhere to put them, so I dropped them in my betta tank. I figured that they were going to get eaten anyway, so I'd let them take their chances with the betta. I didn't see them for several weeks and figured the betta got them.
Then, about 3 weeks later, I found one juvie swimming around in the java moss. I have no idea what the little guy was eating all that time. I've been feeding him (or her?) now for about 2 weeks. The betta seems to be tolerating it. Every so often he'll go stare at the platy, but he seems unmotivated to go catch it.
I mean, I guess I'll leave things as they are. Does anyone else here keep platies with a betta? I've always heard that the platies' bright colors make them targets for bettas. Also, I wonder if this little platy is unhappy living by itself. I hear that platies are social fish who need at least one platy friend. What would you do if you were me? Leave well enough alone? Rehome the platy? Or maybe, if the betta is tolerant of this, get a second platy to keep the first company (same gender, of course)?
LeahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #2 
neenjar

If they are getting along I'd leave it be. Maybe introduce another if you have room in the tank :)
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with getting another one.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #4 
LeahK

That's good to hear. I kinda wanted another one anyway
So now I'm just hoping that this little one turns out to be a boy. Because getting another male isn't such a big deal, but females are ALWAYS pregnant when you get them. And the last thing I need is a whole new family of breeding platies in there with the betta.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

The betta will control the fry population.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:25 PM   #6 
Vikki81207

Yeah if fry becomes a problem, the betta will gladly take care of it.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM   #7 
LeahK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The betta will control the fry population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
Yeah if fry becomes a problem, the betta will gladly take care of it.
lol! THAT'S my problem!
In my husband's tank, I try to ignore the platy babies and just let nature take its course, but I ALWAYS end up being a sucker and saving some. So, more for my sake than the fish's, I don't want any more breeders to deal with.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 PM   #8 
veganchick

I keep my bettas with guppies and they are just fine with it..
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can understand not wanting them to get all eaten up but you'll have to do something to keep from being overrun with platies.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #10 
LeahK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I can understand not wanting them to get all eaten up but you'll have to do something to keep from being overrun with platies.
Yeah, I know. This is why me and livebearers are a bad combo.
If the current baby turns out to be male, I'll get another male and hopefully there won't be any aggression issues. If the current baby turns out to be a girl, I'll either put her with the other females in my husband's tank or rehome her to a friend who's less sentimental about babies :)
I just hope the girls in my hubby's tank are done having fry. There's no males in there--two of the girls are new from the lfs and came home already pregnant.... That's what started this whole business of me saving fry and putting them with the betta.