Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #1 
dummees

Question Advice on (possibly) velvet.

Hiya folks:

This here is Zacharie - I rescued him from Petsmart a few days ago when I was in there to buy some salt for my tailbiter.
I've put him on treatment for velvet since when I first got him he was darting, scratching, and had a gold rust on his head and the middle of his tail. Since then, he's started to flare and his fins have spread out a bit. I just wanted to know if you guys think it's velvet too, because I'm afraid to over treat him with salt if it's a possibility of just having cup-phobia or crappy treatment.
Here's some pictures. The dusting isn't that yellow in person, but the contrast kicked up on my camera automatically to see the difference. He's almost completely white with black in his tail and some black specks on his head.
Lemme know what you think.

dummees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:52 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Call me crazy but that actually looks like his natural coloring, they can and will change colors sometimes.

But the rule with salt is to use it no more than 14 days without at least a weeks break.

For Velvet treatment the temp needs to get up around 85-86 degrees and it needs to be pitch black in his tank during the treatment. And you use 3 teaspoons of dissolved AQ salt with 100% daily water changes, best to do this in a smaller tank since you'll be using lots of salt.

Just make sure you dissolve it before you put it in the tank.

I would like a few more photos though so I can be certain, it is difficult to tell on lighter colored fish.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #3 
dummees

Thank you for the reply.
That's how I've been treating him - I put an LED on top so I could take pictures. I have a scarf draped over top so it is completely dark in there and the heater's at 86.
He's perked up A LOT though since treatment, I noticed (flaring, tail fins are puffed out, active swimming in middle of tank rather than darting or laying at the bottom)- which I why I think I'll continue meds for a few more days and see, then take a break.
I'll get more pictures up soon, he hates when the big light is on and my big scary camera.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
dummees

also you're not crazy, I might be the crazy one for being so paranoid about pet shop fish anymore, haha. :)
Old 05-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That sounds good, it's great that he's active! Generally they get irritated and like to scratch on everything.

at the dose of 3 teaspoons per gallon you can go up to 10 days but no more.

And for a side reference, here is one of my girls, Matisse when she had velvet:
Ignore the white dots, they're just bubbles after I did my 100% daily change on her, but you can see the gold dusting, granted she's a darker fish which makes it easier to see but if you see that on your boy then it's velvet, if it's not raised and looked like sprinkled with golden sugar then it's not velvet.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
velvet