Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #1 
slug61

Fin rot in middle of using SafeStart

I added Tetra Safestart to get my cycle back in my 2.5g tank that has been up for over 3 months. I added it 1 week ago.
My betta now has bitten some of his tail and after a couple of days it is now a little bit black around the edges.
I tested my water today and it is:
.25 ammonia
0 nitrites
15ppm nitrates

I used Prime and StressCoat+ 24 hours prior to adding the TSS

Does StressCoat interfere with the API liquid test kit readings for ammonia?
I thought i heard that somewhere.

Is it possible that i have cycled and the ammonia reading is due to interference from the Stresscoat???

Not sure what to do at this point....if i should change his water (which i'm not supposed to do for another week with TSS),
or, just wait for a while.

Is it possible to have 15ppm nitrates and NOT be cycled??

I'm sooo confused.
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:31 PM   #2 
Kithy

I don't think they interfere exactly but sometimes if you test right after you do a water change then you won't get an accurate reading. I did a PWC in my 55g once and it read like 2.0PPM ammonia and I was O_o Because I KNEW it was cycled. Checked a few hours later and no ammonia.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #3 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
I don't think they interfere exactly but sometimes if you test right after you do a water change then you won't get an accurate reading. I did a PWC in my 55g once and it read like 2.0PPM ammonia and I was O_o Because I KNEW it was cycled. Checked a few hours later and no ammonia.
I haven't done a water change for 7 days.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #4 
Kithy

Oh.

Well, it's kind of hard to cycle a tank that small. But if he's getting fin rot you're going to need to step up your water changes so it doesn't become more serious.

Two or three 50% changes a week should be enough to keep it in check so he can heal up.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
Oh.

Well, it's kind of hard to cycle a tank that small. But if he's getting fin rot you're going to need to step up your water changes so it doesn't become more serious.

Two or three 50% changes a week should be enough to keep it in check so he can heal up.
But, that still doesn't answer about my cycle.
If I hadn't added the TSS i would have been doing the 2 changes per week, but
with TSS you do NO changes for 2 weeks....then you are completely cycled.
If I do the water changes now, the cycle will not complete.

Also, the fact that I have 15ppm nitrates..does that mean it's cycled? or close?
Old 05-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #6 
Kithy

It's hard to say with cycling. Changing the water out shouldn't hurt cycling but I'm more concerned with your fish than the cycling :X Do you have a filter?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #7 
JellOh

You could take your betta out, put him in a hospital tank to treat his fin rot, and just dose the 2.5 gallon with pure ammonia. That way your fish isn't harmed and your tank can finish its cycle.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:36 PM   #8 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
You could take your betta out, put him in a hospital tank to treat his fin rot, and just dose the 2.5 gallon with pure ammonia. That way your fish isn't harmed and your tank can finish its cycle.
This +a million.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #9 
Juditko

I did a bunch of reading all over the place before using safe start. I think I read on the q and a on the safe start website to wait 48 hours after using prime as the prime can affect it. I also read that some people use a second round depending on where their tank is. Don't know if any of that is helpful but I found the tetra website q and a area to have a lot more information.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #10 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juditko View Post
I did a bunch of reading all over the place before using safe start. I think I read on the q and a on the safe start website to wait 48 hours after using prime as the prime can affect it. I also read that some people use a second round depending on where their tank is. Don't know if any of that is helpful but I found the tetra website q and a area to have a lot more information.
You wait 24 hours before adding TSS, not 48, which is what I did.