Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #1 
ThePearlFish

Betta's, Frogs, Algae eaters

I don't know if this has been posted somewhere already, but I was wondering if there was some some type of algae eater fish or something that eats primarily algae I could put in my 20g long to help control the algae population. It has a Betta, 3 Jumbo Tetras and 3 Corys. I was hoping for something that might also get along with ADF's (I have them in a separate 10g tank-just thinking for future reference).

Thanks!

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #2 
Cerulean02

Otos are great algae eaters. They, like corys, need to be kept together. You can also go for a bristlenose pleco. They're both peaceful and will keep your algae problem under control.
Cerulean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #3 
Angelmonster

Careful, both otos and plecos can get too big for a 20 gallon tank. Go out and buy some Algae killer chemicals instead, most are totally healthy for fish and plants. If you really wasnt something natural to do it then buy a snail
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #4 
ThePearlFish

Maybe I will get a snail if the algae eater fishes don't work for my tank. my corys love skimming/licking every surface of my tank and decorations, but they don't see that they are just not algae fish even if they do try to help. LOL.

~TPF
Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Otos work great. They don't get big like plecos, so they are good in smaller tanks. I wouldn't get any less then 3. They are cute and interesting little characters!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #6 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelmonster View Post
Careful, both otos and plecos can get too big for a 20 gallon tank. Go out and buy some Algae killer chemicals instead, most are totally healthy for fish and plants. If you really wasnt something natural to do it then buy a snail
I've never seen an otto get larger than 3cm, and bristle nose pleco's get 5-6 inches, both are perfectly suitable for a 20 long, it would be pushing stocking limits though, but if you stay in top of water changes should be fine.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #7 
ThePearlFish

I just would like 1-2 not too many. I have plenty of room in my tank, but yea I'd LIKE to give my fish extra swimming space. I'll look 'em up :)

~TPF
Old 07-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #8 
Cerulean02

Yeah otos never get bigger than 2 inches and if you got an albino bristle they get about 3 inches...so they would be fine, they're just high waste where otos are not.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #9 
Cerulean02

Also, sorry for double post, be very careful with snails you might start with one but end up with hundreds, most can breed asexually. There is one kind that breeds in brakish water only, but can live in fresh water but I can't remember which one.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:39 AM   #10 
ThePearlFish

I heard mystery snails are not asexual, but I know some of them can get big, like the apple snail (like golf ball sized), which they can get confused with. I dunno whether I'd want a bigger snail, but I think a lot of people would find it neat when they look in a tank and see a big snail. A bristlenose would be a different interesting fish too, although I admit to me their face is one that isn't the most attractive, lol.