Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #1 
JellOh

Plants While Cycling

I'll be doing a fishless cycle on a few tanks once I get some better filter media (the stuff that comes with Azoo Palm Filters is rubish), and I was wondering if I should add plants during the cycling stage. I've heard a few conflicting ideas on the Internet and would like your oppinion. Thanks in advance :)
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #2 
Kyurem150

If you have the tank heavily planted it could do a "silent cycle" and I heard you could just add fish right away. How many gallons is your tank?
Kyurem150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #3 
Gallium

Plants can be added during the cycle just fine. Plants only absorb the nitrates, which are the end product of the cycle. They won't slow down or speed up the cycle. Personally I like to add my plants when I first set up the tank to cut down on any ammonia outbreaks that tend to happen when planting a tank for the first time.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #4 
JellOh

Gallium- Will the lack of nitrates negatively affect the plants in the beggning of the cycle?

Kyurem150- It's 3.3 gallons, but I've heard that you really need to plan out what plants your putting in if you want a silent cycle, and the only think I know about the plants I'll be adding is that they will be green and leafy :P
Old 05-25-2013, 08:56 PM   #5 
fish keeper 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
Gallium- Will the lack of nitrates negatively affect the plants in the beggning of the cycle?

Kyurem150- It's 3.3 gallons, but I've heard that you really need to plan out what plants your putting in if you want a silent cycle, and the only think I know about the plants I'll be adding is that they will be green and leafy :P
Unlike terrestrial plants most aquatic plants actually show a preference of ammonia/ammonium over nitrate. Aquatics plants have to use extra energy to convert the nitrate back to ammonium for them to use. So no, there will be no negative effects.
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #6 
JellOh

Awesome! Thank you everyone :D