Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 08:39 PM   #11 
Rosewynn

My bettas are on a book shelf about 4 1/2 feet tall. I have 3 dogs, one is 65lbs however she's older and can no longer stand on her hind legs to look at them. But she used to all the time. I freaked out at first but realized she wasn't making an attempt to get their lids off. I don't think she even 'got' that she could if she wanted to. :P My beagle mix doesn't really show an interest. My Maltese loves them. I'll hold her up to them and she loves to sniff them and watch them for a while.

One day a few months ago all the dogs were in their crates because it was their feeding time. So in between I was getting ready to clean the fish tanks and I had cupped both fish and just set them on the floor while I was unplugging the heaters etc. To my horror when I looked back my Maltese had managed to get out of her crate and was hovering over both the fish in their cups. Luckily, (and this is how she is with any other creatures as well) she was just content to stare at them from above and when I first saw her she was giving them a whiff. So now I let her watch them when I have them in their cups. I still have a hold of her just in case. But like I said both my bettas seem to really like her. Sometimes they'll flare at her and sometimes they'll act like they do with me which is, 'OK so since you are anywhere near my tank I think you should feed me NOW.' I used to worry it might stress them out but they seem to enjoy it and never had swam away or anything.
Rosewynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #12 
quietlythundering

All these stories are so cute :D
I hope we get more entries, cause these are fun to read!
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:20 AM   #13 
Bombalurina

I held my rat Darcy up to the fishtank the other day Being a rat, of course, he couldn't see anything other than a light blur, but the fish all came swarming up to say hello, and it looked like he was communicating with them. Very cute.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #14 
Polkadot

My dogs don't really take much notice of them,my cat did at first,her eyes got really big & she slowly walked over & sat in front of the tank watching,but after about a minute she lost interest.They all live very well together.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #15 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Allie tried to bat at Picasso on my desk and the poor guy would freak out. She doesn't do it anymore though. I normally keep my door closed now so she can't harass him. Cookie, my fat wittle kitty could actually care less. He's too busy stalling my mom so he can get some attention. And Cooper, my golden retriever... he thinks everything he sees is automatically his best friend so once when I first brought my fish home he tried to play with it... luckily my fish was not hurt.
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #16 
xShainax

I have to stop out long haired tuxedo female from coming in my room. She tries to get my fish all the time
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #17 
jadaBlu

One my cats like watch the fish. One likes to smack them (on the glass). One likes to lay on the fish tank for warmth which is a habit I am trying to discourage. My bettas flare at any cat that watches them. I have betta stuck in slightly flare on one side because of this. I think it's best the probably not interact.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 PM   #18 
veilmist

At first my kitty was jealous of the fish because they were getting more attention lol. Tank set up was happening so a close a was being kept on the fish, but after that wears off my cat ignores the fish and we all live happily together :) (my cat, my betta, and my mom's betta)
veilmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #19 
quietlythundering

That sounds lovely :) It's so weird! I expected to hear funnier stuff about cat encounters, but it seems like dogs are more curious lol
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #20 
percyfyshshelley

One of my dogs, Blossom, suddenly noticed my betta Kubla Khan last night. she stared at him for about 15 minutes. Fish was just as curious about dog as dog was about fish.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote