Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #51 
Clayton1089

its the same for me liz hahaha I need more space!!!!
Clayton1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:29 AM   #52 
LizbethDawn

I only have the one male right now and I'll have a 10 gallon I can split up and a 6.5 So I've got the space lol. I want to try my hand at breeding eventually and see if I like it. or if I'm even any good at it for that matter.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #53 
Clayton1089

Well i just did my first spawn a couple weeks ago!
Clayton1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #54 
wish4coner

3rd spawn didn't take but, I am going to Minnesota for a week, at the end of june so, that is probably a good thing. Now, I'll just start my grown out tank for the first batch, and get this tank set up for the second batch.

People are asking me to set up a webcam thing so I can keep it on..lol...I might just do that :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #55 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
I only have the one male right now and I'll have a 10 gallon I can split up and a 6.5 So I've got the space lol. I want to try my hand at breeding eventually and see if I like it. or if I'm even any good at it for that matter.
I get rubbermaid tubs...3 gallon...and found it works very well. This time, I tried a 2.5 gallon glass, 3/4 full and didn't have any luck with it. The tubs seem to work much better.

I just add a plant, a moss ball for hiding for the female, float an Almond Leaf at the top, and add extract that I make to it. I also found, thunderstorms work well for spawning. I tried two without storms and got no where. They seem to like them :)

After they were a month old, I moved them into a tank, half full..then, I added more water as, now they are going up for air. I found book report plastic (really cheap at walmart for a full pack) are easier than using wrap as, you just clip it on and it keeps the humidity in. The wrap gets all yucky with feedings and I keep having to replace it. The report covers keep the humidity in, but stay in tact.

I also use sponge filters after the first week. I got a turkey baster, added some small air hose tubing to the end, cut in an angle so it skims the bottom of the tub, but doesn't suck up any fish. I remove the dirty bottom into a glass, so I can ensure it didn't pick up any fry.

Just some suggestions I have found helpful with my two spawns, which were my first times breeding. I am all about saving money--I even use clip on lighting with low wattage florescents..they work well for the plants, but aren't too intense..and they are 5.00 at walmart, each. :)
Old 05-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #56 
LizbethDawn

Oh I just meant I have the space to keep more adults right now lol
The tubs are for sure something I would use for breeding. It just seems like the economical choice especially since I could have tons of babies and I would still have to get jars the separate the males.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #57 
wish4coner

Yes, I am looking at wholesale jars, now :)
Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 AM   #58 
wish4coner

Day 32--Fry seem to now have personalities and are going from top, to bottom. I am noticing bubbles near the edges, where they come up for air. Cleaned the bottom of the tank and did two feedings of worms. Before bed, will be feeding Daphnia and bbs. They haven't had bbs for a while now.

Began their grow out tank. Is all low light tanks, set at 82 degrees and moss balls. Added some small decorations from a fluval chi, where I took moss balls, filled them into the slots of the waterfall mountain, and gave it a safe area for them to swim.

Still waiting on natural grass for bottom (moss) so, using plastic grass until then. Made sure it was smooth (amazed at some of the betta decoration logs where, I ran my fingers on the inside and it was rough--can't imagine fins going through there).

Also ordered more plants, and driftwood with moss. Waiting for tank to cycle now.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #59 
wish4coner

Day 32--Move to grow out-pic heavy

Moved all fry from first spawn, to new 10 gallon grow out NPT tank. Water 3/4 high, temp set at 82. Two xl sponge filters on each corner. Various low light plants, and moss used in plant, as well as part of decorations, for safety of fry.

Fry immediately began exploring their new home. They seemed most interested in the plant life, as well as the moss areas of the decorations.

It's nice to have them in a place where I can see them all the time. Phone camera not the best and, I had just fed a combo of BBS/daphnia/BW and WW with eye dropper so, the water is cloudy in areas from feedings.

Name:  KIMG0059.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  KIMG0061.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  KIMG0064.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  KIMG0063.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  37.8 KB

Name:  KIMG0062.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  KIMG0065#1.JPG
Views: 146
Size:  52.5 KB
Old 05-27-2013, 03:39 AM   #60 
tilli94

Is it possible to have females with rosetails?
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote