Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #11 
jenjen622

Well I totally want to make it work and keep it as safe as I can for the fish. I don't mind the extra work to get it done. I really appreciate all the advice, thanks for being patient with this new aquarist
jenjen622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #12 
RussellTheShihTzu

Don't worry about the pH. My inverts and Betta live in 8.0 with no ill-effects. It's more important that pH remain stable.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

Happy to help! This is definitely the hardest part of fish keeping - the fish in cycle. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #14 
jenjen622

Update

So I have been doing 100% water changes, but my ammonia levels have only gone down a little bit. It's testing bw 0 - .25. I haven't seen a nitrite spike but my nitrate level is up to 5. I have been doing water changes every day and testing bf & after changes. Is it possible I've missed the nitrite spikes already? I also forgot to mention I have some plants, so I don't know how much they're sucking up. I have water wisteria and a couple marimo moss balls.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #15 
jaysee
Reference Team

No, you did not miss the nitrite spike - the low level of nitrates are either from your source water or from the plants. Keeping the ammonia between 0-0.25 ppm is as good as you can hope for when cycling with fish.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:36 AM   #16 
keepsmiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjen622 View Post
I am also worried that my filter current may be too strong. It is the filter that came with the tank. I have read that generally filters that come with smaller tanks are slow flow, but the betta seems to fight the current. It doesn't have any settings to turn it down.
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-I...urrentkill.php
keepsmiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #17 
jenjen622

Cycling update

So I'm in day three of my nitrites spiking. I was doing 75 - 100% changes, but once I started spiking I have been doing 100% changes. Is there any kind if guideline or idea how long it will continue until it drops and the nitrites go up? So far all my fish are doing well.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #18 
jaysee
Reference Team

Nitrites tend to fall much faster than ammonia. I would expect 1-2 weeks. You'll just wake up one day and it will be 0.

Good job - you're almost there! Once it's cycled you'll never have to go through that again with any subsequent tanks.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #19 
jenjen622

Sorry I just thought of another question...the instructions for my filter recommend changing the filter cartridges once a month...but should I do a change while the tank is cycling or wait until the process is done?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #20 
jaysee
Reference Team

No need to apologize for asking questions ask away

They would tell you to change it every two weeks if they thought they could get away with it. They want you to change the filter media so that you buy more filter media. It need not be changed until it's falling apart. The carbon inside will become useless (has long since been useless) and just becomes more room for the bacteria to live on. Many people do not use carbon in their tanks - that's literally the only reason why you "should" change the filter media. But as I said, your tank will be fine without it. It's been fine without it. The amount of carbon in a filter cartridge is pretty small - it becomes used up well before the month is up.

Tags
10 gallon, cycle tank with fish in