Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #1 
CJank

Swollen abdomen

So I am really just hoping there is someone who can tell me what is up here... I literally just got this beta today and I got his tank all set up (washed everything off with water then filled the tank and put the solution your suppose to use in before letting it sit for like half an hour while the little jar he was in sat in a water bath of water the same temp but after i switch him into the tank i was worried it was a bit too warm still) then put him in there. Already there is a notable change in his abdomen and its spooked me. I did feed him a little bit but i didnt think he ate much, he is swimming around a lot too but not in a way that seems alarming just more exploitative. Is this something I need to worry about?? Will it go away? Is it normal? I haven't had a beta since I was little and this is my first attempt at a pet since loosing my dog last year so I feel like I am over reacting over what I hope is nothing. Thank you to anyone who answers.

A picture from when he was just put in the tank:

A picture from a few minutes ago:
Attached Images

Last edited by CJank; 05-25-2013 at 12:18 AM.
CJank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It sounds like the food that you gave him just expanded in his tummy, basically he's just stuffed.

What kind of food are you giving him? Sometimes some pellets will expand more than others, of course I'm assuming you are feeding pellets so i'll let you answer my question first haha
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #3 
CJank

I am feeding him TetraBetta floating mini pellets. Is there something better?

The swelling does seem to have gone down this morning too, its still kind of there but no where near as prominent. He seems happy, swimming around again. The reason I think I got so freaked out is because I was reading over the care guide flyer from PetSmart and it was under one of the things to watch out for.

Also I do have him in a one gallon bowl with rocks, one tree that takes up a reasonable amount of space, just an LED light, and room temp of like 70. Any suggestions on that?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 AM   #4 
Corsica

Most peeps will recommend you get him a heater so his water temp stays around 80 degrees. It is tough to find good heaters for 1 gallon tanks. Mine are in 2.5 or bigger tanks and I use the Hydor 25 watt. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 I have a variety of tanks from regular tanks to Critter Keeper containers.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The tank is fine, certainly upgrading would be nice, but if you can keep up with water changes to keep him healthy, it would certainly make a nice home for him :) With a 1 gallon it's best to do 2 water changes a week, both 100% so there's no chance ammonia can build up and hurt him :)

I do suggest getting a heater though, 70 is very low. The reasonable temp for Betta's is anywhere from 76-82, they are tropical fish and lower temps will hurt him as well.

Most Tetra foods aren't really good, the things you want to watch out for are fillers; i.e. wheat, grains and corns are especially bad. You want things like Fish meal, whole salmon, garlic, shrimp meal etc. I'm a huge advocate for New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets because my fish absolutely love them and they contain garlic which Betta's go crazy for! It's also a very small pellet, probably smaller than your mini pellets lol, so it's just a little easier for them to eat and it doesn't expand as much.

If your store doesn't care NLS (I had to order mine from online as well) you can get Omega One Betta pellets, that small little container costing 3 bucks is going to last you a long time. Those pellets are a tiny bit bigger than NLS but they carry the same nutritional value for your little guy :)

And just so you know, a bigger tank is easier to maintain but if you can't afford it or anything, don't worry about it, just focus on keeping your new little boy healthy
Old 05-25-2013, 11:15 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 with advice given. Take one of the pellets you're feeding & drop it in a glass of water to see how much it swells. This will help you know how much to feed. Some pellets swell quite a bit so if you feed too many it will cause issues. As others have suggested get a better quality food when you can.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #7 
CJank

Thanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it. I am going to pull together an all around upgrade for him in the next few weeks.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:44 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cool yeah that sounds great :)

Oh and just watch out for those plastic plants, even the soft plastic because they can rip your Betta's fins like there's no tomorrow! I prefer all silk ones but of course I've really gotten into live plants and I love them, but silk works just as well if you didn't want real ^^
Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #9 
CJank

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail

This is the tank I am going to pick him up today, I am going to get a heater too. Any tips about transferring him? Also since it has a filter in it how often would you suggest I do water changes?
Old 05-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just for a reference you could always look at Craigslist or Ebay for cheaper, larger tanks. But that one will do :) I was just looking at the price tag is all.

You'll probably have to baffle the filter so that your boy isn't blow everywhere, that would not be good. I'll send you these two links just for a future reference anyway. The water bottle baffle which I don't think you can use on this type but good for a source: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

And the sponge baffle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=56100 it's not a step by step but if you read the comments they tell you which sponge you can use and how to keep it on, although again, it might be difficult with this tank.

As far as acclimation goes, if you have a plastic cup of sorts that's what you want to use. I even use red solo cups lol as long as it's never seen soap before, soap is very toxic to your fish.

Scoop him out of his bowl with the cup, take some of his old tank water with it so he doesn't die :) When your new tank is set up with conditioner and stuff, float him in the new water, still in his cup. Please make sure you fill the tank with a similar temp water as his old tank, so if you just want to set it up one day and let it sit so it gets to room temp that's good.

Over a period of an hour (always an hour the first time you acclimate him to something new) keep him floating in the cup and add a quarter cup of new water into the cup ever 10-15 minutes or so. After the hour is up you can gently tip the cup so he can swim out of the cup and into his new tank. :)