Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 09:03 PM   #1 
Deanna01

Neon blue dwarf gourami

I got some neon blue dwarf gouramis today to live in my 46g freshwater community (which doesn't contain any bettas!).

Gouramis are anabantoids like bettas and make bubble nests. I think they're just as cute as they can be! Here is one peeking out from behind a plant.
Attached Images

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #2 
djembekah

very very cute :)
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:42 AM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

....how many did you get?
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Love DGs. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #5 
Deanna01

I got three of them. I tried to pick out two females and a male, but after looking at them more closely, I suspect I got two males and a female.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Adorable! I also love DG's although unfortunately very susceptible to disease :( But I had a powder blue that was with me until that darn Blizzard, Nemo ironically and he died shortly after because of the stress. My power had gone out but my aunt's house about 15 minutes down the road had power so we all convened there and I brought my PBDG and Remmy, he was the only boy I had at the time thank god, to keep them warm.

But other than that, I absolutely want another one! They're so cute! I think my mom wants a regular DG for the 29 we have to set up at her house ^^

EDIT: interesting! Generally they don't sell females, or more likely they had hormone therapy to make them into males! I know we don't sell females up here at all.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #7 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
I got three of them. I tried to pick out two females and a male, but after looking at them more closely, I suspect I got two males and a female.
The difference is obvious at first glance, so I am pretty certain that you have 3 males. They are not sexed by the fins, as new people seem to think. Females are gray.

I hate to rain on your parade, but the chances are good that you will have aggression issues which will ultimately lead to the death of at least one of them, if not 2. A 29 is really not large enough for more than 1.

Sent from Petguide.com App
Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #8 
Deanna01

Huh. I had looked at several reliable sites that said they are most easily sexed by their fins. I have them in a 46-gallon, not a 29, and when I put my numbers into AQadvisor, it said I was fine. We'll see what happens, though. I'll keep an eye out and remove/rehome any number I need to if it comes down to that.

Every gourami in the tank--and they had well over 50--was this same color. It seems unlikely they would have no females at all.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #9 
Deanna01

These are a few of the sites that said you could tell the sex by the dorsal fin shape:
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres.../neondwarf.php
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/fishqa/f/faq2060.htm
Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #10 
jaysee
Reference Team

One would think it unlikely that they only sell males, but.... They only sell males. Any site that says you sex dwarf gouramis (T. lalia - which is what you have) by their fins is incorrect. There are quite a few sources that spread this misinformation, unfortunately.

You can trust aqadvisor if you like, but I prefer to pay more attention to people's actual experience. You're not the first to try multiple dwarf gouramis (I've tried it) and you won't be the last.

By the way, the second link is for sexing regular gouramis, not dwarf gouramis. And the fist link clearly says that the females have much less color. It mentions dorsal fin too, but that's a moot point because the primary difference is a lack of color.
Sent from Petguide.com App

Last edited by jaysee; 05-26-2013 at 09:55 AM.