Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #31 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
Huh. I'm glad I read this thread, because I'd been pronouncing it wrong.

That made me go look up "plakat," which I'd also been pronouncing wrong. It should be "pluh-KOT."
I've been saying it wrong too! lol
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #32 
Rana

I'll be honest, I sort of flip-flop around with my pronunciation and usually just slur the letters together since I always forget which is correct. I do tend to pronounce it beta (bey-tah), probably because of all the time I've spent haunting the classics dept. I don't have trouble with scientific names because of this though, so I accept the trade-off.

If I was going to be doing any public speaking, like making a video or such, I'd make a point of trying to use the correct one but in normal life I already mispronounce so many words (I'm looking at you, gratuitous) it's not worth the effort.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #33 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana View Post
(i'm looking at you, gratuitous)
lol!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #34 
Bombalurina

What annoys me is when people mis-spell betta as "bata" because they've been hearing it wrong.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #35 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
What annoys me is when people mis-spell betta as "bata" because they've been hearing it wrong.
Agreed
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #36 
Hallyx
Reference Team

However you pronounce it....

As the first word in the animals' scientific nomenclature (species-subspecies), Betta is correctly always capitalized.

Betta is the plural of Betta.

Abbreviation eg: B. splendens.

I can't seem to ascertain whether Betta is, in fact, a Thai or Cambodian word. Maybe Setsuna can set me straight.

(I know, most everyone on this thread knows this stuff.)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:12 AM   #37 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I stand corrected. The binomial nomenclature designates genus and species.

Byron gets deep into it, here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...h-named-45966/
Old 05-27-2013, 02:35 AM   #38 
KoriC

I'm fairly certain I've said this at one point before, but it doesn't bother me. I know what the proper terminology is, and I've honestly tried to say Betta properly for a while now, but my mouth has a really hard time talking around that word. That sounds weird, but Bayta is much more natural to my mouth so it is the way I choose to say it.

It also can very much be a "where I'm from thing" I really wouldn't turn my nose up to people who say that. I have a cousin that I moved close to a few years ago. We grew close and we were playing cards one day, her, myself and my brother's kids and she said the word King as "Kin". After a bit of dialogue between us all, we found out she legitimately cannot pronounce the "ing" sound. We tried for about an hour trying to help her to it, but sometimes it just can't be done. It might seem easy to some people, but it can be really difficult, and a good amount of people who've taken a second+ language probably knows how difficult pronunciation can be sometimes. It does happen in English to English transitions.

I would much rather focus on the care of a betta, just like I'm not going to break it down into linguistics either. It's betta not Bedda, better, not bedder, butter, not budder etc. I respect everyone's opinion, but after a few experiences of my own, after the initial correction I refuse to let it bother me, because it might not be a preference thing all the time.
KoriC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:11 AM   #39 
AyalaCookiejar

I agree. I guess, particularly on the part that some people may literally not be able to pronounce Betta. For some reason my dad says some words strangely (like warsh instead of wash and every day of the week ends in "dee" instead of "day") and a cousin of mine who has issues pronouncing things since she moved to Georgia and picked up an accent. Or those who have lisps or just can't pronounce things for whatever reason (there was a girl in my class, people would aways tell her to say certain words because they came out strange).

Hallyx makes a good point: I know that Betta is plural but that is very strange to me. I do say Bettas sometimes but usually it's Betta fish - it sounds more normal (like I still don't know the plural of octopus, haha). I can also thank my phone for usually auto capitalizing Betta.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #40 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Octopuses.

Honest.

Ask your marine biologist friends