Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Are colorful female veiltails pretty common?

For the longest time I have seen only dull looking females or ones with with cream color bodies and red fins. Petco has several female veiltails that have purples and red or they are light blue or orange. I've thought about buying the purple and red female. Since I've hardly ever seen any outside of Aquabid that are very colorful I was wondering how common this this is. My main reluctance in buying her is size she is pretty large compare to the females I have now that are purchased as babies. If I ever do a sorority I would think they'd have to be a fairly similar size.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 05-25-2013 at 11:13 PM.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nah, you don't need girls of the same size, I've got all sizes in mine, Mystique is my biggest at 2 inches just body, most are around 1-1.5 inches and my smallest is Little Blue and Matisse at only an inch, they all do fine together!

I've seen some pretty girls at my Petco/Petsmart but most of them do have black or blue bodies. Matisse I found at Petsmart along with Raven, Maddie is a black/yellow bi-color and Raven is black, blue irid and red CT fins. And then Mystique was a Petco girl, blue body, spade tail with a dark red head.

But all my other colorful girls came from an LFS. I tend to like the darker ones so I personally don't mind the stock from Petsmart/Petco lol but yeah I find they don't have the "pretty" girls there often.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:13 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

+1 - my girls have always ranged in size. It's temper that counts ;).
Colourful girls are relatively common around here (Australia), although they are mostly variants of red or blue.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #4 
Otterfun

1 from Petsmart (the one 1/2 blue , 1/2 white in breeder box), and 3 from Petsmart, all crowntails though
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have a variety of colorful females. The big box stores such as Petsmart & Petco seem to go through phases with their Bettas as far as colors. For the last several months all I've seen are the pastels with colored fins, last year they seemed to have the darker colors. Mine range in size but that's partly because they're different ages.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
1 from Petsmart (the one 1/2 blue , 1/2 white in breeder box), and 3 from Petsmart, all crowntails though
Oops 1 from PetSmart, 3 from Petco
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #7 
peachii

Seems dark colors are easier to find. I like the lighter bright colored females better as they are easier to see in the tank and pop against the plants but are extremely hard to find. I really want a White or Light pink girl but have not been able to find one in 5 months of looking in all the local pet stores. I can't afford to ship any so it's just a waiting game until one pops up. Out of all of our fish we only have 5 light colored females.

I have yellow, a orange/copper with red fins. A few crowntails with whitish (cambodianish) bodies one is blue/red, ones is red/teal and one is red fins.

I have a plakat that i found at Wal-mart - extremely lucky find - Silver/Lavender with black markings - she is almost glow in the dark shiny - i love her.

We only have 3 crowntails - everything else is veiltale in the tank. If and when any need to be replaced, I'll hold out for halfmoon, doubletales, or something a different color from what we have.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #8 
NeptunesMom

Pretty much all the females we have at our PSmart are white with red fins. In this last batch we got the first bright blue females I've seen (she's a CT). My CT from PSmart has a white and black body with red fins.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #9 
registereduser

My first females were from Petco, VT, solid red, solid blue and cambodian. They were so pretty! Now deceased.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

Always depends... My first few were barely colored... They had a slight tinge of blue on their fins and body. Otherwise, they were mud color... I always found petstores in bigger cities (I am in a sad little place...) had the best selection. Even then I would find some mud females, but then there were the few who WOW'd me!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote