Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-26-2013, 08:59 AM   #1 
Jexx

How do you make sure they all eat enough?

Yes, I'm one of THOSE. I am obsessed with everyone having enough to eat. Guests at my house, my children my husband, my pets. With my bettas it is so easy because they are all by them selves. I hand feed them and know how much they eat. With Cobra, same thing. (She is still in her own tank). But with the platy and guppy ladies how am i supposed to make sure everyone gets enough? Frigg is the biggest so I assume she needs to eat the most and she is the most different looking of the bunch so she is fairly easy. Fulla is a little pig and the tiniest so I don't worry about her. But Mamba and Diamond are hard to tell apart and Diamond has turned into a bully now that Boa is gone. When I feed them, Diamond eats all the food and I can't tell is Mamba is getting enough. I am a paranoid pet owner now :(
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #2 
AquaKai

When I feed my tanks I spread the food all over the top and stir the food around. I try to get food below the water surface to the main water column so that the food is all over so that one fish cannot monopolize the food.
AquaKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

I used to drop the pellets in front of everyone to make sure each was getting relatively the same amount but I quit doing that. My girls will eat food anywhere in the tank so I sprinkle the food around & just watch to make sure everyone comes out for food. The pellets float & eventually sink & I know my girls are eating the ones that hit the substrate, get the pellets as they sink. I will actually make the pellets sink. I know everyone is eating based on their growth & keeping an eye out for anyone looking skinny.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 
Jexx

You both make good points. I do spread the food out but Diamond is a shark lol she gulps her section down and then attacks. Mamba runs away. Fulla sneaks in and steals like a fox. I try to push the food in front of Mamba but they other girls swarm in. She looks healthy right now. Not as fat as she was the first day, but that's cause the first day she was the one who ate all the food. I have seen her pecking at the substrate, maybe I'll make sure some food floats to the bottom.
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

You could get a breeder box or cup her for feeding. Kind of pain & could take some time to get her used to it but at least you'd be able to make sure she's eating & not being chased off. Or separate the aggressive one during feeding while you feed the others.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #6 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKai View Post
When I feed my tanks I spread the food all over the top and stir the food around. I try to get food below the water surface to the main water column so that the food is all over so that one fish cannot monopolize the food.
exactly. It's hard to hog all the food when it's everywhere. I put the food in the filter's outflow, which disperses it throughout the tank.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote