Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #1 
NorthernLights

At my wit's end

What size is your tank? 3 gallon / 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 81 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, undergravel, heavily baffled/ none in the 1 gallon.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, the UG is airstone-driven / none in the 1 gallon
Is your tank heated? Yes, 25 watt Hydor theo
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none. Marimo was pulled out months ago.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? OO Betta Buffet pellets, NLS Betta Pellets, the occasional dried bloodworm.

How often do you feed your betta fish? Once-twice/ day (tried both to see if it could help him)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I always do 100% once a week. I have tried experimenting with 30-90% water changes every couple of days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and StressCoat+. Iíve tried them in different proportions.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? Many times. The only remarkable reading is that the water is ph 8.2 or so.

Odysseus has now been battling fin rot and/or torn fins for nearly 5 months. I've replaced his plants with all silk (2 months ago), I do the water changes...I've tried aq salt (backfired badly, twice), 3 rounds of kanaplex, I just don't know what to do.

He did beautifully when he lived in a 1 gallon (which probably had closer to 0.75 or 0.8 gallons of water actually in it) with plastic plants. But that was also in a place where the water is only slightly hard.

Where I live now, the water is VERY hard. It is also quite alkaline (ph= about 8.2, sometimes a bit less). He also lives in a 3 gallon tank. I moved him about a month ago to his 1-gallon hospital tank after he had started to lay around on the floor of his 3 gallon a lot. He perked up, although he was badly constipated for several weeks, but is now looking even worse. His tail is badly split and all his fins are in terrible shape. There's often red near the edges of the fins, but no obvious lesions, sores, kinks in his spine, etc.

I've tried water changes of all sorts of frequency. I've tried Jungle Fungus Cure, Kanaplex, Epsom salts, Aq. salts. I;ve not tried API General Cure, Triple Sulfa (but I have them).

He still eats well, but he's become fearful and lethargic.

I don't know what to do anymore.
Attached Images

NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 
LostxinthexMusic

I had a similar battle with persistent fin rot in my delta tail. I couldn't beat it until I started using filtered water (from a Brita pitcher or my refrigerator) in the water changes and used a slightly concentrated dose of Fungus Cure and switched to Stress Coat for my conditioner (never really measured, just 7 drops per gallon like the old conditioner I had)
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #3 
NorthernLights

Brita

I got a Brita pitcher and oh my heavens! He's like a totally different fish! Only time will tell if this solves the problem, but he has perked up tremendously!

Thank you so much!
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #4 
LostxinthexMusic

You are very welcome
LostxinthexMusic is offline   Reply With Quote