Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #11 
Pearl2011

Aw I'm sorry :( It's always unfortunate when that happens

Did you treat the driftwood before putting it in the tank and how/where did you get it?? If you don't clean them well enough you can get some nasty stuff in the water, I got nematodes >.<

Last edited by Pearl2011; 05-25-2013 at 09:59 PM. Reason: OMG i cant spell
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #12 
Bettafeathers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl2011 View Post
Aw I'm sorry :( It's always unfortunate when that happens

Did you treat the driftwood before putting it in the tank and how/where did you get it?? If you don't clean them well enough you can get some nasty stuff in the water, I got nematodes >.<
I'll agree that you can get some pretty nasty stuff out of driftwood. I got a chunk from an aquarium store and didn't boil it or anything - they didn't advise me to and the chunk I had in another tank I never did anything special with either and it was fine. This piece I put in pre getting fish, tied my anubias on, planted my other plants. It leeched the tannins which I expected but then all of my plants started dying and eventually the water was opaque with the color/tannins leeched out of the driftwood. And oh my, the smell when the water was disturbed! It smelled like a sewer, bad enough to make me gag, and it could be smelled across the room. I honestly don't know why...but I boiled the living daylights out of it and haven't been brave enough to put it in a tank yet. Lesson there was boil wood before putting it in a tank. Surely it would have killed the fish if I had had some in there.

I'm sorry for your loss, OP. It's always so hard to lose them when we don't know why/what happened.
Bettafeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #13 
Goodbettabest

I got the plant from my LFS already tired to the driftwood so i thought it would be good to go. I got two pieces and the second piece is in with another one of my boys and there have been no problems there. Hope i didn't jinx myself in saying that! They do have all their live plants in community tanks at this particular store so maybe another fish that was in the community tank was sick and it was carried on the plant. Who knows. The plant looks fine but my Fax is dead. I guess i just have to put it down to being a mystery and concentrate now on keeping my other boys healthy & happy. Thank you all for your help
Goodbettabest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #14 
Pearl2011

If you have the other in the tank I would boil it, just to make sure it doesn't to the same. You can never be to paranoid with fish tanks :P

Bettafeathers- Mine did that same thing, sorta. The water was disgusting!! I got snails and nematodes was dint want to stick my hand in the tank and have worms wriggle all over me (this is coming from the girl who is disgusted by nothing). All my plants were half dead and it smelled gross. My room smelled like rot and bleach (since I was cleaning over tanks. That was nasty... *barfs*
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote