Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #11 
FosterMom

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I wouldn't house the betta with goldfish. As was already stated, goldfish are coldwater fish and bettas are tropical fish.
I understand that goldfish are cold water fish and bettas are tropical. However, both tanks are not heated and are in the same room and therefore the same temperature. So is this still a factor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Also, a half gallon will need to to be changed 100% twice a week.
I've had him since tuesday night... he got a 100%change Wednesday morning (I needed to get more spring water) and then a 50% change every day since then, and his tank is still dirty.

He seems to be doing ok in the big tank...... should I trust this? Can I go to sleep yet? (2:20am and I have to be up in 5 hours) Or should I call the whole thing off and put him back in the .5 gallon cube?
FosterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 PM   #12 
AngelicScars

I think the 4 gallon is way to small for even one goldfish. They get really large and need a bigger space.
I wouldn't keep the Betta in with the goldfish at all. Not only are the temps different, it could end up getting ugly in the end. I think him being in the 1/2 by himself is way better then in an overcrowded 4 gallon.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

I guess you can leave them together if you have no heater. I don't understand why your water would get so dirty after all the water changes. Are you using a water conditioner?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:30 PM   #14 
dr2b

I still am against keeping them together. I really do think it'd be okay if the tank was a lot larger...4 gallons is just still overcrowded for 5 fish I think. Because goldfish are larger fish...
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #15 
veganchick

I think it is fine to keep them together if they are getting along, you have plenty of hiding spaces, and the temps are the same. You just have to work with what you have got, and I think a betta in the four gallon would be just fine, I have kept a goldfish in a 10 gallon with guppies and a betta (I had nowhere else to put it, and it needed a temporary home) and they all did just fine together. just make sure there are enough hiding places for the betta, And the goldfish, Turn off the light and the fish will be less stressed.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #16 
Synthisis

Rule of thumb.

1" of fish per gallon of water.

A betta counts as a 2" fish. Gold fish are 2-3" fish. So you have 14" of fish in a 4 gallon tank, there fore you are 10 gallons short.
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #17 
veganchick

ya.... rule of thumb doesn't always work tho.

In the long run I would reccomend that you get your goldfish a larger tank tho because fancy goldfish can get up to 8 inches long, and common goldfish get get over 18 inches long!!!!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #18 
FosterMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
ya.... rule of thumb doesn't always work tho.

In the long run I would reccomend that you get your goldfish a larger tank tho because fancy goldfish can get up to 8 inches long, and common goldfish get get over 18 inches long!!!!
Hmmm... Maybe I should look into getting them a new tank and then sprinkles can live in their old one....

Plus, I think sprinkles attacked zahava's tail while I was out. she has a tear in it that wasn't there before, so he's moved back into his cube.... Don't want him to be there though... its not fair for him to be in such a small space

Last edited by FosterMom; 07-18-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #19 
veganchick

ya... poor guy! If you are looking for a new tank for your goldfish, or Sprinkles try craigslist, it has some really great, really cheap items!
Old 07-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #20 
FosterMom

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganchick View Post
ya... poor guy! If you are looking for a new tank for your goldfish, or Sprinkles try craigslist, it has some really great, really cheap items!
Nothing on craigslist Jerusalem.. Checked some other community sites and all I could find was a 40 gallon tank... a bit more tank than I need...

as a status update. MrSprinkles is back in his cube and is making bubbles... so I guess he's happy. Still on the look out for a bigger tank for the goldies and if I find one then sprinkles can move into the goldies' old one. But at least he's happy

Tags
habitat, need help, new betta, stop gap