Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2009, 08:11 AM   #1 
BakaMandy

Fast breathing?

So Shota got over his fin rot. After his 5 day treatment period with Maracyn-two, I waited two more days to make sure his fins weren't still deteriorating. Since they weren't any new holes developing, I decided to move him back to his tank.

Nya had been living there in his place (Since I technically have no place to really put her at the moment since her home is currently being used as a hospital tank) so I took her out and put him in. I then went to work and when I came back, Shota was acting different than he normally was.

I had just recently added a filter that hangs off the side of the tank to his tank because I didn't like the under gravel filter. I put it at the lowest possible flow since it's a pretty small tank. I noticed at one point that I put the filter in backwards and flipped it so it would be in there properly with Shota in the tank.

But he was breathing rather rapidly when I came home, and would stay near the bottom of the tank. He seemed to be struggling with swimming in the light current in the tank, while constantly being thrown against the plastic plant that was in there (which I think I'll take out because I'm too afraid of him tearing his fins again). He'd also kind of randomly spaz out at the glass, which was kinda normal for him, but it just seemed more violent than usual.

I took him out and put him back into his hospital tank for the time being. I'm going to go get an ammonia/nitriate test kit today, change his water and start anew just to make sure nothing is wrong. I just find it a bit weird cause Nya was living in his tank, seeming very normal and happy.

): Does anyone know if those symtomes are normal? Or if anything is wrong? Should I switch back to the undergravel filter or will he just get used to the side filter eventually? T_T I'm very worried...
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would check the ammonia level.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #3 
BakaMandy

Checked ammonia, ammonia was at 0. D:
Old 07-16-2009, 09:55 PM   #4 
veganchick

my betta started breathing really rapidly likean hour before he died
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

:S Eek!

Well, his breathing has slowed down a bit now since I moved him to his hospital tank. I checked everything I could with my tank and everything seemed to be okay. Just in case I added some agents to help clean up any hazardous stuff. I'll let it filter for a day and try and put him back in tomorrow. I have the day off so I can keep a close eye on him.

So I wonder if the filter just stressed him out or something ~_~;;; since he's not used to swimming in moving water...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:25 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

It could be that the filter upsets him. Some are bothered by the current and some aren't.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #7 
rb500

Maybe its a combination of the moving water and getting over the sickness. Maybe he's a little weak still and the moving water doesn't help? Idk, thinking out loud
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:49 PM   #8 
BakaMandy

I was going around checking the pH and I think it might be that.

The water that I've been using in his hospital tank when he was sick has been around 8.0 while the water in his current tank is 6.8 :S so... I defiantly think that has a role to play in it.

Any suggestions in what I can do? :S I've been thinking of doing a 50% water change if that'll fix it.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 07-16-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't use any chemicals to adjust the ph. As long as the ph is stable even if its a bit high or low, as long as its stable, he should be ok.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #10 
BakaMandy

I've only been using something called black water extract to make the water a little more acidic because I read it was good for betta since they like soft acidic waters. Apparently it also helps promote activity and health, since it contains all natural acids and nutrients.

I've slowly started adding it to their water in small doses to help them get used to it. I haven't added enough to change the pH, so I'm kinda scratching my head in the case of Shota's tank since I never added a lot.

His breathing is improving a little it doesn't seem like he's gasping to breath so much anymore. :S So I think I'm going to keep him in his hospital tank so I can keep a close eye on him till I see an improvement...